Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X 10.4.1 randomly selecting clips

I am editing a larger project (partly with multicam clips) in the new version of FCPX (10.4.1.). Final Cut is from time to time randomly selecting clips all over the timeline and keeps them selected. I'm often not aware of this unwanted selections. When I than delete clips it often happens that other clips all over the timeline are deleted as well. Also it repeatedly created me some gigantic compound clips with some clips that had been arbitrarily selected at the other end of the timeline instead of creating a compound clip with only the clips that I had selected while editing. This problem costs me really a lot of time as I have to rebuild and rebuild edits from the backups that already had been finished. I hope this problem can be fixed soon.

Final Cut Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), German version

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 3:32 AM

I have this issue too, I reported it as a bug on Wednesday last week. It seems to happen when marquee selecting or shift selecting multiple clips in the timeline, (although not every time). Apple have replied to me and have advised that if I want to select multiple clips I should Command-click until this issue is resolved.

It's not ideal, but I've never had a recurrence of the issue when Command-clicking.

Hope this helps 😀

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2018 3:32 AM in response to Tijuana456

I have this issue too, I reported it as a bug on Wednesday last week. It seems to happen when marquee selecting or shift selecting multiple clips in the timeline, (although not every time). Apple have replied to me and have advised that if I want to select multiple clips I should Command-click until this issue is resolved.

It's not ideal, but I've never had a recurrence of the issue when Command-clicking.

Hope this helps 😀

Apr 24, 2018 2:49 AM in response to Tijuana456

Having this same problem and it's extremely frustrating. We use Sony XDCAM files which weren't even supported in the previous 10.4 update. With 10.4.1 they are now but a bit glitchy and the import window doesn't display file size. Thought maybe the clips being deleted in different places was related. Also you can no longer highlight multiple clips to adjust the sound, the volume bar just goes blank.

Apr 24, 2018 12:35 PM in response to onedigital

Yes, this was really helpful! Tanks again! Today I did'nt have any unvoluntary deleted clips.

On another thread here on this forum I found a post pointing in a similar direction:

"This is a major bug when dragging to select clips. It's occasionally selecting additional clips elsewhere in the project other than what you highlighted. Then anything you do will also happen to those other clips too -- like deleting, for example. This was driving me crazy and then after complaining on Twitter, someone shared this great video showing off the problem:"

https://twitter.com/pulpjedi/status/986411030937976832

FCPX Selection Bug on Vimeo

Final Cut Pro X 10.4.1 randomly selecting clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.