Related Article

Limits for iCloud Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to clean up over-length Reminders titles?

Hello!

TL;dr: Can anyone suggest a way to automatically find, and perhaps shorten, Reminders with higher than a certain number of characters in their titles?

• I have Workflow and it seems to show some promise, but I haven't gotten there yet. And, it's limited.
  • I can probably arrange access to a Mac to access desktop tools, if necessary.
  • Maybe a third-party tool that can read/integrate with iCloud? Either with some cleanup stuff directly, or at least a way to search / work with items in bulk?
  • Maybe hack a backup file on my computer to search and replace in the SQL database, then restore to iPhone......??? (have done similar before....long story.....)
  • Maybe it's just time to convert (myself, and maybe my data) to a more robust, capable, purpose-designed tool? (Evernote comes to mind, other suggestions welcome)
  • ...???

Full story:

I use Reminders quite a bit, it's very handy - but I have had quite a history of it causing me difficulty also. My latest problem is that it is really SLOOOOOOW ......to.......load..... on my iPhone (a 6+), after going from iOS 9 to 11. Every time. I just counted 6-8 seconds before it displayed on screen, and then 8-10 s more to be ready for input (nonresponsive until then).

I'll try not to bore you with all the details, but I gather it must not be just the hardware and iOS combination - the same iCloud account loads Reminders in a much more reasonable time on my iPad Mini 2, which has a year older hardware. And as alluded earlier, it worked OK on iOS 9.

So in digging around, I finally came across the linked article (Limits for iCloud Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks - Apple Support). Apparently there is a "Maximum number of characters in a reminder title: 100", "To help iCloud keep your Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks up to date". But obviously it's not a real "maximum", because it will happily let you write a lot more in a title. It's not enforced, I should say; but maybe going over it confuses / bogs down the code that accesses it, or something; thus the article.

So I have a couple dozen lists, and I forget how many, couple thousand maybe, Reminders. And not having known about that "limit" for the first several years, I have lots that go over it. That's the only thing I can figure for my massive slowdown, other than just plain incompatibility/un-optimization/no more support for my HW/SW combination.

I could (and may someday) upgrade my hardware, but if there is a legit database issue/incompatibility, I'll keep running into problems. (E.g., for a time a few iOSes ago, the phone would just plain crash a lot when I had Notifications turned on for timed Reminders; maybe or maybe not related to this issue?)

What I've done a bit of so far, is to delete completed - which did seem to help; since there's no useful way to do this on an iPhone, I had many, many, presumably clogging things up; also when I come across one that's obviously over 100 chars, that I want to keep, I have cut some of the text from the title and put it in the body/comment. But there are way too many to do this manually, and it's painful on a handheld device, and a bit better but still laggy on iCloud.com.

OK, wow, that turned into a long post. See the top for my summary question after all of that.....

Thanks, and very much gratitude in advance for any advice!
CJ

Posted on

Page content loaded

Apr 20, 2018 1:09 PM in response to CJ555 In response to CJ555

Just counted via Workflow, I have 2315 Reminders. And hand-counted about 64 lists, well within the 100 maximum.

As an aside, in explanation of that - I use Reminders a lot. It's become a life-management system, much more than simple reminders. It captures my thoughts - Siri integration is key. It's the Capture stage in my sort-of-GTD system, my Inbox. I have lists of ideas in many different categories, lists of things that are important to me to review occasionally, plans, etc.

Strictly speaking, sure, a lot of them could be gotten rid of, or I wouldn't miss if they were gone (in fact, I think at least one list did disappear once in a phone update/backup/restore fiasco, and I finally decided it wasn't worth it to try to recover manually from a backup). But, out of my brain, into a system, my brain feels better.

If I had a way of archiving large chunks, I would probably do it occasionally. For now, I just rename old lists as "Backlog <date>" or some such. Actually, some are archived, because I've used a backup extractor to dump them to some sort of SQL file at times, and/or a CSV.

OK, back to trying to do some more immediately useful work.......

Apr 20, 2018 1:09 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: CJ555

Question: How to clean up over-length Reminders titles?