Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup file nam

I have deleted my time machine backups by accidentally formatting an external harddrive, as my device for the backup was stolen and the backup wouldn't fit on my new machine. the machine was recovered and now I don't have my backups, as i deleted them. I have done a hard drive scan on the external drive and it recovered a ton of formatted info but I don't know what file I'm even looking for. Does anyone know what file or group of file I would need to search to see if one of my old backups has been found?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 1:00 PM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2018 1:08 PM in response to weritzat

Have you looked for Time Machine Snapshots on your internal drive?

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

If you enter Time Machine when your backup disk isn't available, all the backups that you can access are from local snapshots. You can restore from these backups ...

You can try to find Backups.backupdb on your external but I'm not sure it will do much good as Time Machine uses a specific file structure which is probably mince meat now from using a recovery software.

Apr 20, 2018 1:35 PM in response to mdhurst

search for .backup files

Sorry, but that is not correct. Time Machine does not create files with the extension of ".backup" on local drives. Instead the "main" file is a folder, named: Backups.backupdb. Inside would be a folder with the Mac's computer name. If more than one Mac is backing up to this same drive, there would be a folder for each of them as well.

time machine backup file nam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.