Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hiding headers and footers

I'm using Pages 7.0.

I've figured out how to hide headers and footers on the first page of a section. What I'd really like to do is hide the header, but not the footer, on the first page of a section.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 4:28 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2018 5:59 PM in response to 99Eric99

Hi Eric,

It was possible in Pages 4 (Pages '09) where the checkbox was "First page (of the section) is different," and you could leave the header or footer empty on that page, or accomplish what you want by leaving the header empty, but setting the Footer to the same content as the page 2 footer. That feature, along with more than 100 others wasn't included in the "new" Pages when it was completely rewritten for version 5. Several of the 'missing' features have since returned, but from your question, I gather this isn't one of them.

You can, though, get much the same effect by copying the Footer contents, pasting them into a Text box, placing the text box, containing those contents in front of the hidden Footer, then clicking the check box to hide the header and footer on that page.

User uploaded file

Bottom of Page 1, with text box containing footer text for thst section pasted in front of (still visible) footer for that page. (The text box was deliberately misaligned slightly to allow seeing both the text and the contents of the Footer.)

User uploaded file

Bottom of the same page after checking the "Hide on first page of Section" checkbox. The Textbox could now be locked in position, then de-selected, making the blue selectionboundary disappear.

Regards,

Barry

Apr 20, 2018 6:13 PM in response to 99Eric99

Whilst Barry's suggestion works, I suggest you do the opposite, not put a floating Textbox in place of the Header or Footer but instead cover up the Header or Footer where you do not want to see it with a page colored/white opaque shape.

Or use Pages '09 instead which in this situation and virtually every other is vastly superior to Pages 5, 6 & 7.

Peter

Hiding headers and footers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.