Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has others had trouble getting their Series 3 watch GPS w/o cell attaching to WiFi?

I've been having trouble getting my Series 3 watch w/o cell, attaching to any WiFi networks. I've got a friend at work and his new Series 3 connects to the same network with no problem. I'm using a iPhone 8 with iOS 11.3 (15E216) and the watch is at 4.3 (15T212). My phone shows Sprint Wi-Fi and my phone, "Allow Calls on Other Devices" is turned on. Under 'other devices' my Mini iPad is listed. Of course until I can connect to my WiFi network, the phone call part isn't even in the equation yet.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.3, Can connect to WiFi

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 8:06 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 21, 2018 5:29 AM in response to Davesfc

Your watch should be able to handle calls via your nearby iPhone (over Bluetooth) regardless of WiFi connectivity. If this doesn’t work something else is wrong, probably in settings as the first place to look. I don’t think this is the Allow Calls on Other Devices setting, on my iPhone that only references my iPad and not the watch. Thinking back I don’t even remember having to setup calls to my AW S3, it just worked automatically once pairing was completed.

WiFi connectivity four the watch is also more out less automatic. The watch should connect to any secured WiFi network where your iPhone has connected - with one major constraint. The watch wants standard WPA-style authentication with a passphrase (like you probably have on your home and office WiFi). The watch doesn’t have a web browser and will not be unable to connect to the wifi I often find in hotels, where you have an open network followed by a web based landing page to allow access. That might be the case with Sprint (carrier?) WiFi

If you find I’m right on both issues above my suggestion is to try telling your phone to ”forget” the current WiFi then reconnect so the password etc is renewed and pushed to the watch. You could also try connecting to a different WiFi when you get home or something... If it still fails maybe there are settings stuck in the watch, so try unpair the watch then re-pair and see if that helps.

Good luck, post back if you still have problems

Apr 23, 2018 1:36 PM in response to Branta_uk

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I'm still having problems. A co-worker who has the same watch and a iPhone 6+ and we done a test. We laid both phones on my desk and then started walking across the office. At the identical point my 'Phone Connection' goes from green to red with a cross mark on it. My co-workers change to 3 blue little wifi bars. On his Phone he doesn't even have WiFi Calling turned on. The only difference that we noticed is that his Phone is on AA&T and mine is on Sprint. Other than that it seems everything else is the same. I'm at a total loss as to what to try next. It doesn't work at home (Spectrm Cable) or at the Office (Sprint fiber). Andy (my co-worker) said he didn't remember doing anything to make it work. His works at his house and here at office.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Apr 27, 2018 1:48 PM in response to Davesfc

If your watch doesn’t connect on any of the WiFi systems it has seen either (a) theres a problem in settings, or (b) the watch has a defective WiFi interface.

I can’t see any relevant settings documented for the non-cellular version so I guess it will have to be unpair and re-pair, and if that doesn’t work you’re looking at a Genius Bar service visit to have them check it out. Fortunately any S3 is still within the warranty period.

Has others had trouble getting their Series 3 watch GPS w/o cell attaching to WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.