Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crossfading was NOT fixed CORRECTLY in 12.7.4.80

I already posted this on another string, but that one said "iTunes for Mac" and I use iTunes for Windows. Crossfading stopped working with the last iTunes upgrade, but today I received the prompt to upgrade to 12.7.4.80, which I could have sworn I read somewhere had "fixed the crossfade issue." So I downloaded the latest version. But after listening for over an hour now, I am not so sure it was fixed correctly. It's weird, you can SEE it if you watch the time bar (the next song starts before the last completes, per how many seconds overlap you choose). But you can't HEAR it. I can swear the first song is being "programmed" to fade out volume-wise, for the number of seconds you select, which it shouldn't. Since the volume (as a result of said programming) decreases so drastically, it negates the cool "merging" affect from one track to the next. The volume is so low by the end of the first song, they don't overlap!! The natural fades built into the tracks work just FINE, so there is no need to MAKE the first song reduce its volume. Crossfading, though it includes the word "fade" is better described as OVERLAPPING. So, someone attempted to fix it, but didn't quite do it right, in my opinion. Therefore, it appears to work, but sounds just like one song ends before the next starts. Those of us who like the crossfading feature enjoy hearing both songs at the same time for the number of seconds we select. The only time the volume should go down is if the songs naturally do it on their own. ~Sigh~ And we were so close 😟 Anyone else notice this? I am going to leave the above as feedback, too.

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 7:43 PM

1 reply

Apr 21, 2018 2:28 AM in response to LY Music

Seems to be OK from my perspective. As far as I'm aware iTunes doesn't analyse the tracks so the effect is going to work best when you're listening to tracks that would otherwise start and end abruptly, and be less satisfying if there is a long fade and trailing silence at the end of the closing track. A DJ will normally anticipate any built in fade at the end of a song and cross fade to the next track before that kicks in.

The only way to be really sure would be to record some specific examples in both 12.7.3.46 and 12.7.4.80 to see if they sound the same.

Use Feedback - iTunes - Apple to talk to Apple. They're not listening here.

tt2

Crossfading was NOT fixed CORRECTLY in 12.7.4.80

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.