Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Hangs at startup

When I open iMovie it starts to display but then gets in perpetual hang with "Loading... Backing up iMovie library..."

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 9:32 PM

Hi,

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Other trouble shooting procedures are: Open iMovie in a new User Account (Guest account on your Mac); Open iMovie in a new library (hold down the Option key while opening and select New in the library selection box that appears). If still problems, reinstall iMovie.

An interesting temporary solution that I saw to a similar problem is to open the Applications Folder and control-click on the iMovie icon. Then click on Show Package Contents>Contents>MacOS>iMovie (to launch).

Also, take a look at this thread to see if there is anything in there that helps you:

iMovie 10.1.3 crash

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2018 9:32 PM in response to ChukAmuck

Hi,

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Other trouble shooting procedures are: Open iMovie in a new User Account (Guest account on your Mac); Open iMovie in a new library (hold down the Option key while opening and select New in the library selection box that appears). If still problems, reinstall iMovie.

An interesting temporary solution that I saw to a similar problem is to open the Applications Folder and control-click on the iMovie icon. Then click on Show Package Contents>Contents>MacOS>iMovie (to launch).

Also, take a look at this thread to see if there is anything in there that helps you:

iMovie 10.1.3 crash

-- Rich

iMovie Hangs at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.