Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some contacts not listed in iMessage

My mom recently upgraded to iphone X from iphone 5. Since then, some of her contacts are not listed in iMessage to choose from when she starts a new message.

She starts a new message and then she starts to enter the person's name and a list of contacts is displayed to choose from...none of which is the person she wants to send the text to. (This is happening with more than one of her contacts.)

We have confirmed that this person is in the contacts app. We have checked all Message settings. We have restarted her phone. Nothing has helped. I added a new contact and that one is displayed.

This has me baffled and I would like some help figuring it out. I have searched Apple, I have checked several forums and can't find anything on this specific issue.

The image below shows an example. Judy Grytxxxxx should be displayed as an option.

She has the latest iOS version.

Looking for a resolution....hoping someone can give me one!

Thanks in advance.

Angie

User uploaded file

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 7:16 AM

Good morning appleton girl!

It sounds like you’re having some issues starting a message in iMessage because contacts that appear in your Contacts app are not populating. I’ll be happy to help out with this.

Just to confirm, does your mother’s iPhone have iCloud as the default account for contacts? Check by going to Settings > Contacts > Default Account. Make sure iCloud is checked here.

If iCloud is set as the default account for contacts, try these few troubleshooting steps. Turn off contacts in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Contacts, then toggle it back on.

Test out to see if the contact populates now in iMessage. If not, toggle iMessage off in Settings > Messages > iMessage, then restart the device as shown here Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Toggle iMessage back on in Settings > Messages > iMessages and test out the contact again to see if the issue has been resolved.
I also recommend to check that both options are toggled on in Settings > Siri & Search > Contacts. This can prevent contact suggestions from showing up in other apps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2018 7:16 AM in response to appleton girl

Good morning appleton girl!

It sounds like you’re having some issues starting a message in iMessage because contacts that appear in your Contacts app are not populating. I’ll be happy to help out with this.

Just to confirm, does your mother’s iPhone have iCloud as the default account for contacts? Check by going to Settings > Contacts > Default Account. Make sure iCloud is checked here.

If iCloud is set as the default account for contacts, try these few troubleshooting steps. Turn off contacts in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Contacts, then toggle it back on.

Test out to see if the contact populates now in iMessage. If not, toggle iMessage off in Settings > Messages > iMessage, then restart the device as shown here Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Toggle iMessage back on in Settings > Messages > iMessages and test out the contact again to see if the issue has been resolved.
I also recommend to check that both options are toggled on in Settings > Siri & Search > Contacts. This can prevent contact suggestions from showing up in other apps.

Cheers!

Some contacts not listed in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.