Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to: Move user account from external drive to boot drive

Years ago when I obtained an SSD to use as the boot drive on my Mac Pro (early 2008), I moved my user account to a larger disk in another bay. The SSD drive was later replaced with a !TB hard drive.

The Mac Pro failed in September 2017. I replaced it with a 27" iMac with Retina 5K that had a 1TB internal drive. I added 16 GB of OWC memory to the system along with an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, an external CD-ROM drive, and an external drive chassis that could support two hard drives. I installed the 1TB System and 4TB User volume recovered from my Mac Pro in the external dual drive chassis.

The system came with macos Sierra installed even though macos High Sierra had already been released. I created my user account and a backup user account on the system drive and performed the upgrade to macos High Sierra. I migrated applications from my old System Volume to the internal boot drive. I then changed my user account in System Preferences to point to my user account on the 4TB User Volume.

Due to performance issues with one of my applications that stores data in ~/Library/Application Support/, I would like to move my user account back to the internal boot drive. I want to leave the Movies, Music, and Pictures directories/folders on the external drive but move all other directories/folders on the external drive to the internal boot drive.

What is the best way to accomplish this task?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13), Xcode, MacPorts, Server

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 2:27 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

How to: Move user account from external drive to boot drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.