Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to review and edit SMTP settings.

In Mail, the only way I know how to review and edit SMTP settings is when the mail doesn't send. Then up comes a box and it's now been freezing when I try to fix anything. There has to be a way that doesn't lead to force quit? It recently got so messed up that I had to restore from a snapshot to get my outgoing mail settings that worked.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), actually 10.13.5

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 5:12 PM

Apple doesn't share my entire inventory. I own three macs, two desktops and one MacBookPro -- the source of the post asking for assistance. I reached out to Spamarrest, my spam filter, for assistance, since it was their SMTP I was editing, and we came to the conclusion that two of the email addresses that Spamarrest was filtering for me, were trying to access the same SMTP. Mail in MacOS doesn't even like that a little bit, so every time I tried to type the second one in, it would disappear without a trace or an error message. At one time, on my 27" late 2013 machine I saw flash by an error message about trying to do two SMTP addresses but it didn't linger. It never appeared on 10.13.5. But deleting one of them allowed me to enter the correct address on both Macs where that specific email address lives.

Thank you to each of you who shared your thoughts.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2018 5:12 PM in response to leroydouglas

Apple doesn't share my entire inventory. I own three macs, two desktops and one MacBookPro -- the source of the post asking for assistance. I reached out to Spamarrest, my spam filter, for assistance, since it was their SMTP I was editing, and we came to the conclusion that two of the email addresses that Spamarrest was filtering for me, were trying to access the same SMTP. Mail in MacOS doesn't even like that a little bit, so every time I tried to type the second one in, it would disappear without a trace or an error message. At one time, on my 27" late 2013 machine I saw flash by an error message about trying to do two SMTP addresses but it didn't linger. It never appeared on 10.13.5. But deleting one of them allowed me to enter the correct address on both Macs where that specific email address lives.

Thank you to each of you who shared your thoughts.

Apr 21, 2018 1:33 PM in response to Van-D

Don't recall seeing any mention of running the macOS Beta. If you are:

You were asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement when signing up for the beta program. Read the following to find out how you get help as a seed test participant:

CUSTOMER SEED AND CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT

OSX Beta Program FAQs>

The NDA prohibits you from discussing software beta issues here or anywhere else. The two documents above describe how to submit problem reports to Apple.

Apr 23, 2018 3:08 PM in response to Van-D

Van-D wrote:

It recently got so messed up that I had to restore from a snapshot to get my outgoing mail settings that worked.

Van-D wrote:

No, it's not unique to my beta.

Van-D wrote:

It seems you're assuming i only own one Mac.

I think that is a pretty good assumption from what has been posted so far.

Why be so coy and withhold information, if indeed you are trying to resolve your issue.

Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

I want to review and edit SMTP settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.