Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

malware virus

i think i have a virus on my mac i'm using an os x ei capitan version 10.11.6 this thing keeps popping up saying a have a virus and that my computer is locked and not to ignore this but i'm able to x it out and go back to using my computer it want me to call a # 877-416-1497 trojan backdoor hijack #365838d7f8a4fa5 can anyone tell me of a good way to get rid of this maybe to download a good malware remover or some kind of security download i can use ti prevent this thank you very much

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 8:55 AM

If the above doesn't work, try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2018 8:55 AM in response to tommyk4

If the above doesn't work, try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Apr 22, 2018 6:35 AM in response to tommyk4

It's a scam and a poorly crafted one because there are no "viruses" that affect Mac OS.

Try these steps:

Force Quit Safari ( command + option + esc keys).Then restart Safari holding the Shift key. If you still have problems Empty Caches (Safari menu > Preferences > Privacy > Remove all website data. (This will also remove history if you do not want to remove History open Safari Preferences > Advanced and check mark “Show Develop Menu” then choose “Empty Caches” from Develop Menu ).

Then go to Safari Preferences > Extensions and check there. If there is an extension delete it.

If the problem persists then download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

malware virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.