Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The 9.7" iPad and GPS

I've been asking around, but so far nobody has answered this question - I am a long way from an Apple Store. On the Apple web site, one page ("compare models") seems to say that all versions have GPS ("all models: GPS and GLONASS"), but another one (the technical spec page) suggest you have to have the Wifi + SIM version (under "location", GPS and GLONASS only appear under "Wifi and Cellular" as far as I can see).

I see no particular advantage to the SIM version, but I need GPS, and as I believe this model is aimed at education, I imagine a lot of schools would want GPS for various geography projects without the added expense of the SIM model.

Can anyone answer from experience, or shall I queue for the Apple chat line?

Thanks in advance

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.0.3, 64Gb. No G3, so no GPS

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 9:31 AM

It's a little hard to tell, but All Models there applies to the first 3 rows. Wifi, MIMO, and Bluetooth 4.2

After Bluetooth 4.2 there's a new section title: Wifi+Cellular, which is slightly bolder than the rest. Everything below that applies to the Wifi+Cellular models only. It should be a little clearer to avoid confusion but it isn't.

User uploaded file

So, as has been said, yes, GPS is only available on the Wifi+Cellular models i.e mobile.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2018 9:31 AM in response to Living Fossil

It's a little hard to tell, but All Models there applies to the first 3 rows. Wifi, MIMO, and Bluetooth 4.2

After Bluetooth 4.2 there's a new section title: Wifi+Cellular, which is slightly bolder than the rest. Everything below that applies to the Wifi+Cellular models only. It should be a little clearer to avoid confusion but it isn't.

User uploaded file

So, as has been said, yes, GPS is only available on the Wifi+Cellular models i.e mobile.

Apr 22, 2018 6:52 AM in response to Living Fossil

The tech spec page for the new iPad is pretty clear - iPad 9.7-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple Only the column under the “Wi-Fi + Cellular” has any mention of “Assisted GPS and GLONASS” under the “location” section.

And in the history of the iPad line of devices, no wifi only iPad has ever included an aGPS chipset. Wifi only devices rely on other means of location, such as BT microbeacons and wifi-node nearest address. Only wifi+Cellular iPad models have ever had an actual GPS system. The newest iPad is no exception to that.

Apr 22, 2018 9:05 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for the replies, Michael Black and King_Penguin.

As I said, it's here (on the UK version of the site, anyway):

iPad - Compare iPad Models - Apple (UK)

Looking at the 9.7 inch iPad, under "Mobile and Wireless". Directly under the heading "all models", there is a line

"GPS and GLONASS"

I have to say I didn't expect this, as I am aware of the previous history, but I thought it gave grounds for hope. I suppose the final answer will have to be given by meeting someone who owns this iPad, or visiting an Apple Store. But I guess hope has already died.

The 9.7" iPad and GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.