Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth between iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro

I have both my iPhone and iPad pro with Wifi on, bluetooth on and am trying to use Handoff.

They are using the same Apple ID.

Neither device shows the other when I look at Bluetooth. I don’t have another phone in the house to see if they show up for any other device, unfortunately.

Every other Bluetooth device in the house is showing up on them however. Why don’t they recognize each other? Shouldn’t they be connected?

I have Handoff turned on for them both. Have carefully gone through the directions.

Help!

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 8:32 AM

7 replies

Apr 22, 2018 8:42 AM in response to shre

If you mean paired, no. An iPhone will not pair via Bluetooth to a computer (Mac or Windows) or an iPad except for personal hotspot and then only if your cellular plan supports it. See the following for more information. Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or iPad with another iOS device or with my computer?

When using Handoff/Continuity or AirDrop, that does involve Bluetooth but the devices are NOT paired; Bluetooth just needs to be on and the devices in range of each other.

None of that really helps with why Handoff isn't working for you but may rule out Bluetooth if you were thinking they should show as paired.

Apr 22, 2018 8:46 AM in response to shre

The iPad and iPhone will connect to each other over bluetooth, except for personal hotspot. They will not appear in each others bluetooth settings page.

Handoff does not in any way require the be paired or connected, just that Bluetooth be turned on on both.

Read here for details about how Handoff works and is set up:

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apr 22, 2018 9:33 AM in response to shre

You access Safari Handoff slightly differently on an iPad than on an iPhone.

If you double click the home button on your iPhone to access the multitasking screen, do you not see the banner at the bottom of the screen?

On an iPad the Safari icon should appear on the Doc, and have a small iPhone icon overlaid on the corner. Is it not there?

Apr 22, 2018 10:17 AM in response to shre

It’s weird, I JUST got my first SMS message that was delivered to BOTH devices. I still can’t see any continuity ability on Safari.

I do have work apps on my phone and there is some regulatory limits that come with that. I wonder if it’s some kind of restriction that my employer has on my phone. That’s all I can think of as neither device seems to be able to do any other continuity stuff. I would only know if I uninstalled that and that is a big pain. I’m curious, however.

I went into the restrictions in my settings to see if I could tell but it is not obvious there.

Bluetooth between iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.