Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook air - mini displayport to HDMI not working

Last week I came home to find my MBA screen cracked totally ruining the display... I ordered a cheap adaptor from eBay to connect to my TV, which was working fine for about a day then the MBA tstopped detecting the external display. I thought it was just the cheap adaptor so ordered another from Amazon. The MBA is still not detecting anything.

I'm hoping the cheap adaptor hasn't caused any hardware damage but I've run Apple diagnostics (holding down the D key on startup) and that comes back with no problems in results.

The machine operates fine just with an unusable display and it's really frustrating to know that it worked well on the TV then just stopped.

Just updated to the latest version of OS High Sierra. I can't check exactly which as there is a huge white block where the left hand side of my screen should be so can't see the Apple drop down menu...

Any thoughts (other than replace the **** screen!)

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 4:03 AM

You mentioned you bought another adapter - was it a genuine Apple one or another third party one?

I would get a genuine Apple one and also see if you can get a LCD monitor to try instead - TVs can be problematic to connect to.

~Lyssa

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 23, 2018 4:07 AM in response to Lyssa

Hi Lyssa,

It isn't an Apple adapter. I will look at getting an LCD monitor.

I've ordered a Chromecast so i can view browser and videos in the meantime, which I hope solves the problem in part. To be fair, I don't do much else with it apart from using music production software.

Out of interest, do you know how much Apple charge for replacing the screen?

Thanks

Macbook air - mini displayport to HDMI not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.