Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I free up hard drive space?

I bought a 250gb MacBook Pro last year and within a few months, I saw that my storage had dropped to 74gb. I called Apple and they walked me through a process that brought me back up to 200gb. There was a "Manage" button to press. If I can be more vague, please let me know.

But if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please help. I've already moved my music to iTunes Match, my non-essential files to iCloud and I'm streaming my photos to the cloud.

I'm down to 130gb of space on my internal drive.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 11:55 AM

1 reply

Apr 22, 2018 11:56 AM in response to stojef2014

How to Free Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.
  2. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.
  3. Also, see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.
  4. What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?
  5. Files That Make Up the 'Other' Storage Category, and How to Remove Them
  6. Free up storage space on your Mac.
  7. See Where did my Disk Space go?.
  8. Be sure to Empty the Trash to recover the space.
  9. Replace the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.
  10. Use OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

How do I free up hard drive space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.