Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I enter a name in the "To:" line for a New Message, only my contact's email shows up, not the cell phone number

When I enter a name in the "To:" line for a New Message, only my contact's email shows up, not the cell phone number even though their number is in their contact information.

iPhone 7

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 11:26 AM

1 reply

Apr 23, 2018 11:35 AM in response to jsamoranski

Hey jsamoranski,

It sounds like you're having issues where you're sending a message to a contact, but the email populates for the contact's name rather than the cell phone number. I'll be happy to help out.

Is only one contact affected by this? If you delete the contact in your Contacts app and create it again, does only the email still populate?

If so, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Contacts, toggle off Contacts and then toggle it back on again. Try sending a message again.

Let us know if those steps work for you. Cheers!

When I enter a name in the "To:" line for a New Message, only my contact's email shows up, not the cell phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.