Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couple of LogicX questions

Ok, using my recently acquired used iMac & running Sierra on an external boot drive I've purchased Logic X, latest version. After downloading all the instruments I noticed the biggest chunk of them are under the Legacy option, is that correct? After working with Logc-9 for so many years I have to say, even with all of the advanced tools enabled Logic is still a bit more Garageband like than I prefer. A lot of the stuff I use (environment) is tucked away out of sight so as not to scare anyone. A shame in that regard. When you have an Application that's as unique as Logic I would develop and promote what makes it different.

The internal boot drive on the iMac is running El Capitan which runs really well on the machine. If I decide to run El Capitan on this machine will the App Store give me the option of downloading Logic 10.3.x?

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 8:16 AM

Hi Pancenter,

Many of the old presets and Sampler Instruments are stored under Legacy.

The App Store should serve you with the latest compatible version for your OS. If you are using OS X 10.11.6 you will be provided with Logic Pro X 10.3.3.

Hope that helps

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 23, 2018 8:16 AM in response to Pancenter

I agree Logic X is definitely aimed at the iOS generation... but for me, going back to L9 projects actually makes me appreciate Logic X more and more, (although I much preferred the GUI of 10.2.4 to the flat graphics of 10.3/4).

The Environment in Logic X is unfortunately still an afterthought, (& seems more like a half-baked Logic 9 import than the powerful tool it actually is). It's in need of a serious overhaul... but sadly a lot of it's features have been superseded by midi-plugins etc, so that would seem unlikely at present.

Sierra 10.12.6 running well here with LX10.4.1 (Mac Pro 2010)... if it were me, I'd go for for the full clean install of Sierra on the iMac, (but backup your El Cap install first) ! 😉

Apr 23, 2018 12:46 PM in response to octopi

An older one, Mid 2011, Quad-core i5 at 2.7gHz. 16Gb RAM. 1TB internal 7200 drive. It has a Firewire 800 port as well as a Thunderbolt port. Seems to run Logic fairly well, Alchemy can eat some CPU.

Like you I didn't want to mess with my Mac Pro which is a a year or two newer than yours. It runs L9 and Snow Leopard perfectly, most stable computer I've ever owned. Can run an incredible amount of audio tracks and has a Universal Audio PCIe DSP card and a few choice plugins.

Apr 24, 2018 5:59 AM in response to Pancenter

Wow, spooky. I just picked up a Mid 2011 i7 with 16gig and 1TB. As it's the last iMac able to boot into 10.6.8 I partitioned the HD and have Logic 9 and X on there.

I'm just looking out for suitable external storage for the audio and sample libraries etc. Sorely miss the ease with popping drives in and out of the Mac Pro. Having identical projects on each desktop, Logic 9 is still so much snappier than X and the meters do not lag as they do in Logic X. Having said that, there is some good stuff in X. Had to mix an album in Logic X which is going well. I still prefer 9 though.

Apr 24, 2018 9:21 PM in response to octopi

Ha..Close! I got this model because of the firewire port, the last model so equipped. I still have a firewire based 16-input Presonus setup. So yes, I'm looking for external storage as well. No hurry though. I partitioned the internal drive, two 500GB partition. El Capitan on one, Sierra on the other, using a 1TB external 5200rpm drive for some storage but that's not going to cut it. Mac Pro is still King

Couple of LogicX questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.