Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: An alert just popped up on my MacBook Pro saying I have 3 viruses and I need to download Advanced Mac Cleaner. Is this a valid site/download and should do it or?

Virus Alert

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 23, 2018 9:16 AM in response to ALSURVIVOR In response to ALSURVIVOR

ALSURVIVOR wrote:

One Software Called Malwarebytes for Mac will fix all and its free for one month as well

this was recommended for the apple advisor

You are correct that MBAM can identify and remove Adware on a Mac. However, you are missing the point. There is nothing on the internet that can "Scan" you computer over the internet just by visiting a site. So, anything that says it identified any malware is a scam.

If you are constantly being redirected to a site which claims you have malware, then you might have installed Adware which MBAM will likely be able to remove.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 22, 2018 9:17 PM in response to sherina154 In response to sherina154

It's a scam. A message warning of malware in an iOS or Mac OS X web browser will only be legitimate if it's in response to a file being manually uploaded to a website; they cannot scan the devices, but can scan files which were uploaded to them(it's done on the server.)

(159858)

Apr 22, 2018 9:17 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 23, 2018 7:17 AM in response to sherina154 In response to sherina154

It is a scam attempt. Do not respond, do not download any third party app that claims to protect, clean, boost performance, etc. including any third party antivirus app.

Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Apr 23, 2018 7:17 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Apr 23, 2018 9:16 AM in response to ALSURVIVOR In response to ALSURVIVOR

ALSURVIVOR wrote:

One Software Called Malwarebytes for Mac will fix all and its free for one month as well

this was recommended for the apple advisor

You are correct that MBAM can identify and remove Adware on a Mac. However, you are missing the point. There is nothing on the internet that can "Scan" you computer over the internet just by visiting a site. So, anything that says it identified any malware is a scam.

If you are constantly being redirected to a site which claims you have malware, then you might have installed Adware which MBAM will likely be able to remove.

Apr 23, 2018 9:16 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: sherina154

Question: An alert just popped up on my MacBook Pro saying I have 3 viruses and I need to download Advanced Mac Cleaner. Is this a valid site/download and should do it or?