Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can somebody explain the music subscription to me?

I’m confused does this mean we pay a monthly fee and can go to iTunes and download unlimited songs?

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 9:01 PM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2018 10:02 PM in response to jenniferfromreedsburg

Hi Jennifer,

So its your typical music subscription from any music streaming service. You pay a monthly fee for either an individual or a family. The rates will defer from country to country depending on your currency. The first 3 months are free and you start paying from the 4th month. Once you have the subscription, you can stream from the vast library of songs. These songs can be searched streamed and downloaded offline from any of your iOS devices that are on the same ID on which the subscription has been taken. Once you stop the subscription, the offline songs will no longer be available to play. You have to understand the difference between purchasing a song from iTunes and an apple music subscription. When you buy a song from iTunes, it stays with you forever, but songs downloaded through an Apple music subscription will no longer be accessible once you stop paying for the subscription.

Personally I love apple music and cannot do without it. The advantages and interface features are best in class according to me. Hope this helps.

Apr 24, 2018 8:02 AM in response to jenniferfromreedsburg

This chart summarises the differences between the services:

Subscriptions None Match only Music only Both
Stream and download all songs in
Apple Music library
NO NO YES with
DRM
YES with
DRM
Re-download purchases
without DRM
YES* YES YES (and with
DRM if from
Apple Music)
YES (and with
DRM if from
Apple Music)
Matched ripped songs which
are in Store/Library
NO YES without
DRM
YES with
DRM
YES without
DRM
Upload ripped songs which
are not in Store/Library**
NO YES without
DRM
YES without
DRM
YES without
DRM

*N.B. Older purchases which still have DRM may continue to have it when re-downloaded.
**Songs in Apple Lossless, WAV or AIFF will be converted to 256kb/s AAC (M4a).

More details at http://rfwilmut.net/notes/applemusic.html

Can somebody explain the music subscription to me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.