Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad 2 BroadPwn??

Hi I have an iPad which has become disabled and need to restore. I am concerned about Apple downloading the latest iOS 9 to the ipad given iPad 2 isn't supported by Apple. Wondering whether there is an official page discussing what options are available? And anyone's feedback on using Ipad 2 since last year.

I don't know what the highest iOS iTunes will support or whether it is even possible to use iTunes to restore the iPad given it is no longer supported by Apple.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, Ipad is Disabled

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 10:21 PM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2018 11:50 PM in response to ecoimpact

Update is clearly the better option. Though reading about the iPad 2 being potentially compromised by BroadPwn, I have suggested my friend get a newer second hand iPad, considering once I update and get the ipad running my friend will return to his mum who will continue to use and let her grandchildren use.

I'm more concerned that my friend and his families personal details will be stored on the iPad once it is updated and then they take the ipad with them when they go out shopping etc, where there is higher risk of getting the iPads Wi-Fi compromised, particularly since a credit card is needed to use an Apple ID. His mum had been told by a phone repair shop that they could 'fix' the disabled ipad for $30, which I could do for free, though the shop attendant might have failed to advise about the potential increased risk of security vulnerability.

I think it could be potentially dangerous if the ipad could be remotely controlled in an attempt to exploit their private information, which I imagine could then be sent in emails on the ipad to the 'hacker' to allow further exploiting icloud or apple id accounts oreven banking information etc.

User uploaded file

Ipad 2 BroadPwn??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.