Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password-protect a Preview PDF one-time

Is there a way to add a one-time password to a Preview PDF? What I need is once the password is entered then the PDF will open all times after that.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2018 5:24 PM

Zip and password protect the zip file. Once they unlock and extract the Zip, the PDF will be unlocked. They would only ever need the password again if they lost the PDF and had to extract it again.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/07/set-zip-password-mac-os-x/

I don't think there is any OS that cannot unzip a zip archive.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2018 5:24 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Zip and password protect the zip file. Once they unlock and extract the Zip, the PDF will be unlocked. They would only ever need the password again if they lost the PDF and had to extract it again.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/07/set-zip-password-mac-os-x/

I don't think there is any OS that cannot unzip a zip archive.

Apr 23, 2018 7:08 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

If you have an admin account see this article macOS Sierra: administrator , the account will get automatically , protected so no one can steal the data if you create and add data in pdf or do any changes in system see this articles macOS Sierra: Require a password after waking your Mac

And in users and groups automatic login is kept as off see this macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

After that its up to you to share the account with others see this macOS Sierra: Create a sharing-only user account

Apr 24, 2018 4:56 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

There is no provision in Preview to set a one-time password as you describe.

You can set a password, and check the associated box asking that the password be remembered in the key chain. As long as the PDF is in your account, it will not prompt for a password, as this is handled for you with a handshake between Preview and the Key Chain. Anyone else, will always be prompted for the password for each access of the PDF.

Apr 24, 2018 5:04 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for that answer. I'm selling woodworking project PDF plans and looking for a way to have a buyer download a plan and only be able to open the PDF the first time only if they have the password. I don't want the buyer to have to enter the password everytime they open the PDF. I know that the once opened the PDF can be saved as a non-password protected, but I don't want to have to explain that to a buyer. I think my best other option is to place the PDF in Dropbox and send the Dropbox link to the buyer.

Password-protect a Preview PDF one-time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.