Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Previous iTunes Library" is empty

Several very helpful articles (eg Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash ) refer to finding old versions of the .itl file in the folder "Previous iTunes libraries".

When I open this folder it is always empty - i.e. I don't think any automatic copying/backup of my .itl file is happening.

Can anyone help me as to why or what I need to do to get periodic old copies. How and when should iTunes create copies in "previous iTunes library" ?

The effect of this empty folder is that I am unable to revert to older builds of iTunes, which is often the suggested solution to problems such as CD burning issues, slowness etc.

Please help. I am grateful to this forum, which has solved many of my issues in the past, particularly "turingtest2" who is a star.

Thanks.

Windows 10

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2018 1:23 PM

Hi there,

Backups should be created in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder when there is a change to the internals of the iTunes database. The last build that did this was iTunes 12.7.4.76, released March 29, 2018, the one before that was 12.7.0.116 released September 12, 2017. Expect to see a file dated when you updated iTunes to the newer build. If you recently updated to say 12.7.4.76 and don't see a backup then it is possible that you're not looking at your active iTunes folder. See also Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows in case there is any reason iTunes cannot move files into the folder. Have you looked for hidden .tmp files in the main iTunes folder? Windows shadow copies? Do you have any non-Microsoft anti-virus? You can make manual copies of the iTunes Library.itl database when iTunes is closed as often as you wish and store them in the iTunes Library yyyy-mm-dd.itl form in the folder. See also Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2018 1:23 PM in response to RiffRaffRaves

Hi there,

Backups should be created in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder when there is a change to the internals of the iTunes database. The last build that did this was iTunes 12.7.4.76, released March 29, 2018, the one before that was 12.7.0.116 released September 12, 2017. Expect to see a file dated when you updated iTunes to the newer build. If you recently updated to say 12.7.4.76 and don't see a backup then it is possible that you're not looking at your active iTunes folder. See also Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows in case there is any reason iTunes cannot move files into the folder. Have you looked for hidden .tmp files in the main iTunes folder? Windows shadow copies? Do you have any non-Microsoft anti-virus? You can make manual copies of the iTunes Library.itl database when iTunes is closed as often as you wish and store them in the iTunes Library yyyy-mm-dd.itl form in the folder. See also Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

May 2, 2018 1:27 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for these helpful suggestions. I'll check in them, particularly the permissions one as this could be the reason no backups are being made by the system. My anti-virus is Norton 360 and I also use Malwarebytes Premium. I have been making manual backups but they don't always sync with the dated of an iTunes update. It is really annoying that iTunes are ignoring this issue - it now takes around 30 minutes to upload a CD and covert mp3 to AAC. Poor show from a company built on great design.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

"Previous iTunes Library" is empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.