Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer an iMovie library from a PC to a Mac?

Hello,

I have an iMovie library on my external hard drive, but I cannot access the hard drive on my Mac anymore. So, I transferred all the iMovie files to my PC (because it still somehow connects to my PC perfectly fine?).

I am just wondering, if I erase the drive then put the iMovie library back on it from my PC, will it transfer back to my Mac without any problems? Or does transferring a Mac file to a PC change the file so that it can't be read when it gets transferred back to the Mac?

iMovie 10

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 7:59 AM

I have never done what you are describing so I can't be definitive. Generally, an iMovie Library should work on any drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You are asking whether it got corrupted by putting it on a PC that is formatted for Windows. My guess is that it is not corrupted, but, as I say, I don't know for sure.

Try creating a new test library on your Mac and putting a couple of projects into it. Then transfer it to your PC and see if you can transfer it back like you describe and have it work properly.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2018 7:59 AM in response to KG613

I have never done what you are describing so I can't be definitive. Generally, an iMovie Library should work on any drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You are asking whether it got corrupted by putting it on a PC that is formatted for Windows. My guess is that it is not corrupted, but, as I say, I don't know for sure.

Try creating a new test library on your Mac and putting a couple of projects into it. Then transfer it to your PC and see if you can transfer it back like you describe and have it work properly.

-- Rich

Apr 24, 2018 11:48 PM in response to Rich839

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'm making the response because what you suggested worked! I created a new library, made a project, copied it to a USB, then to my PC, just like the other one. I deleted the library on the USB and my Mac, then transferred it back to the USB, then back to my Mac, and it opened perfectly fine!

Thanks for the idea!

Can I transfer an iMovie library from a PC to a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.