Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP "Cannot verify server identity" error on iPhone

I don't have a question anymore, but I am just posting what resolved this issue for me, in case someone else is looking for a solution to the same problem:

Today my iPhone and iPad stated displaying a pop up message saying Mail "Cannot Verify Server Identity". After searching for a solution to this problem I found some posts that recommended shutting down the iPhone, deleting the mail account and adding it back again, and a few other things -- NOTHING worked for me. I finally resolved the problem by going to "Settings" --> "Accounts & Passwords" --> selecting the account that was giving me problems: The account was then displayed on my screen as IMAP. I selected the account name and reached another screen listing the "Incoming Mail Server", "Outgoing Mail Server", and all the way at the bottom "Advanced". I selected "Advanced", and when the new screen appeared I scrolled down to "Incoming Settings" and noticed that the "Use SSL" option was selected (green) --> I simply unselected "Use SSL", and the message "Cannot Verify Server Identity" went away!

I hope this helps someone else!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2018 12:55 AM

Thank you so much. sorted on my phone now need to sort on my Mac . any ideas why this happened ? I have 3 email accounts and all 3 stopped working last week and its taken me days to sort this out. Thanks again :-)

13 replies

Aug 4, 2018 12:24 AM in response to sunrisecat

I had this same problem and deleted one of my lesser-used affected accounts but was unable to rebuild it. It turned out that my ISP was having an issue with its server identity certificate and it was not an Apple or iPhone issue at all. When the ISP had resolved the issue the pop up notifications ceased and I was able to reinstall the deleted account.

It is worth checking with your ISP before you start messing up settings that were previously working correctly.

IMAP "Cannot verify server identity" error on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.