Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how much storage do iCloud notes take up?

hi all 🙂

can anyone tell me: how much storage do iCloud notes take up?

Can you give an example?

eg., if i have a note that is 7,000 words and contains 3 screenshots.

(If i have near-duplicates of many of my notes, do i need to manually, laboriously, go through each one to verify that i can delete (or consolidate) all of them expect for one copy of any individual note? In order to save space?)

much appreciated!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 7:45 PM

9 replies

Apr 25, 2018 2:34 AM in response to gail from maine

thanks for your reply, GB 🙂

i am a bit unclear now on the nature of Notes storage though.

i thought that Notes did NOT take up space on your Mac,

UNLESS they were specifically saved to an enabled "On My Mac" account!

Otherwise, what would be the point of enabling "On My Mac"?

And why would that option even exist?

If "On My Mac" were enabled, are you saying there would suddenly be TWO copies of every Note,

both stored on the Mac?

Now as it stands, i do NOT have my "On My Mac" enabled.

But of course i still have tons of iCloud Notes.

If my Notes are indeed stored on my Mac, then why are they shown as "All iCloud" Notes?

For that matter, why would they be called iCloud Notes at all?

Please explain?

Your help is appreciated!

Apr 27, 2018 4:19 AM in response to coatli

iCloud is a syncing/sharing service. So, Notes, Calendars, Contacts, Reminders, Photos (for iCloud Photo Library), and iCloud Drive files all reside in both iCloud and on your Mac. The "On My Mac" Notes reside only on your Mac. That means that Notes under that section are not sync'd to iCloud, nor are they shared with any other device.

So, the ones under the "All iCloud" group are in both places. The ones "On My Mac" are only on your Mac.

Best,

GB

Apr 28, 2018 1:23 AM in response to gail from maine

I use an ID across multiple Macs and devices at work so my workforce can share calendars, notes etc. In some instances I put notes in“ iCloud” notes so everyone can share then, in other instances I put them in “On my Mac” notes on my Mac so that only I can see them, I expect that others in my workforce put notes in “On my Mac” notes on the Macs they use too..

Apr 24, 2018 9:56 PM in response to coatli

Notes do not take up iCloud Storage, if that is what you are asking about. And there is really no way to provide you with a figure for how many MB or GB a note may be. It depends on the Font, the content, and the other items that may be contained in the Note.

If you are concerned about space on your Mac, then you would need to go through each Note to determine the disposition of the Note or Notes in question.

Best,

GB

Apr 28, 2018 1:56 AM in response to coatli

Again, the On My Mac Notes are "local" only notes. If you were keeping notes about work that you perform on your Mac only, for example, and have no need or desire to have those notes on all of your iOS devices, you would use On My Mac.

I keep tons of notes for this forum in Notes under the On My Mac section. I only interact with this forum via my Mac. I like to have a regular keyboard for "regular" typing exercises. An iPhone is fine for me for Messages, but that's about the limit. So, I have several folders under On My Mac for categories of topics that commonly come up. That's just one idea.

Best,

GB

how much storage do iCloud notes take up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.