Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stop Memories in apple Photos

I've looked through the preferences on my MB Pro, iPad and iPhone and can't find a way to stop the Photos app from creating Memories. It's a PITA to have to go back in and Delete/Block these.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Apr 25, 2018 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2018 5:59 AM

You can stop some of the memories from being created.

Disable "Show Holiday Events" in the Photos Preferences > General.

If you upgrade to High Sierra, you have more control over the memories.

Whenever a memory has been created, select it in the Memory album, ctrl-click it, then use the command "Block memory". Photos will no longer create memories of the selected category. Once you blocked all types of memories, you will no longer see any new memories. Delete the memories, that have been created.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You can block memories of certain persons, of certain places, and more, at least in High Sierra. https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/view-memories-pht96259d626/mac

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2018 5:59 AM in response to William Dalzell

You can stop some of the memories from being created.

Disable "Show Holiday Events" in the Photos Preferences > General.

If you upgrade to High Sierra, you have more control over the memories.

Whenever a memory has been created, select it in the Memory album, ctrl-click it, then use the command "Block memory". Photos will no longer create memories of the selected category. Once you blocked all types of memories, you will no longer see any new memories. Delete the memories, that have been created.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You can block memories of certain persons, of certain places, and more, at least in High Sierra. https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/view-memories-pht96259d626/mac

User uploaded file

Apr 28, 2018 9:20 AM in response to William Dalzell

I think, the developers have already relented a lot. It is much better than in Photos on Sierra, when we could not block memories at all.

At least we can now block the memories of specific places and faces. We can stop photos from confronting us with photos of places we do not want to be reminded of or with photos of the persons we cannot stand at the moment.

It took me ten minutes to delete all memories and I keep blocking new memories that pop up. I have not been presented with a new memory in weeks.

But Apple has still a long way to go, to make it user friendly, you are right.

Send feedback, as suggested by leroydouglas.

The feedback form for Photos for Mac is here: Feedback - Photos - Apple

And for good measure, send feedback to the iOS team too: Photos for iOS - Feedback - Apple

The syncing of memories across devices makes the blocking difficult.

Apr 28, 2018 8:35 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, that is what I have been doing, a tiresome task with thousands of photos. Was hoping someone had figured a workaround or terminal command to shut off the creation at the root.

It seems to me pretty arrogant to just assume everyone would want the app to create categories on its own with no input or permission from the user – they obviously didn't learn anything from Facebook's auto creation of memories, almost universally hated. At least with Facebook I was able to turn it off.

stop Memories in apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.