Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck keys on Macbook pro

I've had my new Macbook pro (15" 2017) for a month and already I have 4 keys solidly stuck and half of the keyboard with stubborn keys. This results in me taking longer to do my work and also, having to smack down on the keys so that I don't misspell everything. The new keyboard is horrible. I've been looking through articles on how to clean the keyboard but I'm very confused. On one side, Apple suggests using compressed air to clean under the keys and warns that we should not attempt to clean the keys without Genius Bar supervision. (Geez!) On the other side, there are youtube videos that should them pulling apart the keys with small screwdrivers.

I need a solution. It's a $2300 machine... The keyboard can't be this bad.

Please help me recover my keys.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 3.1 Ghz i7

Posted on Apr 29, 2018 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2018 10:41 AM

If you cannot fix them yourself then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Similar questions

14 replies

May 13, 2018 4:15 AM in response to macjack

I am also experiencing several stuck keys on my 2015 MacBook and took it to the closest Genius Bar. I was told it was dust under the keys so they cleaned it but the problem persisted and they said the entire keyboard would need to replaced at a cost of several hundred dollars. Mine is no longer covered under warranty and I would have to pay for the keyboard replacement out-of-pocket. This is frustrating since these keyboard issues appear to be a known problem.

May 14, 2018 10:46 AM in response to seventy one

Tried the systems management reset as suggested. Thanks for the suggestion. The issue with the keys/keyboard continues after the system management reset.

Interestingly, this is not the first time this has happened. About two years ago, the same symptoms began of certain keys becoming unresponsive. I took the MacBook to the Genius Bar and they replaced the keyboard, no questions asked. The symptoms have since re-appeared and the Genius Bar staff tells me I must pay the cost if I want the keyboard replaced. I am reading about alleged defective keyboards for my model MacBook and if that is true, then replacing the keyboard will only buy me time before the unresponsive key issues re-appear yet again.

May 14, 2018 11:00 AM in response to paravino

Most likely you're right. The feel of the new keyboard is quite nice, but I guess the design has some growing pains.

Apple recently filed a patent to have gaskets on the side of the keys to prevent dust, crumbs, etc from making its way in the key mechanisms. It's mostly likely going to solve the problem if it becomes practical to manufacture (since the patent doesn't guarantee that).

In the meantime, the only sensible solution is to wait for Apple to handle this problem properly, assuming they don't handle hat like the 2011 MBP.

Jun 5, 2018 5:22 AM in response to juan1982

I have this problem too, the problem keys vary. Macbook pro 13" Sep 2017. I've tried compressed air, prying the key with needle, and it's useless. The best thing that's worked is just hitting the key a couple times really hard. It's almost like a sega when you needed a pencap to keep the controller in. These new keyboards are cool but the stuck key issue is a major oversight apple! Also, I don't know if the keyboard design or whatnot, but I keep pressing ; instead of ' . It;s pretty annoying. Some comments on the new machbook while I'm here. Pretty dumb that you need an adaptor for freaking everything, true, the new USB is super fast, but they couln't have atleast kept one old school style that all the world uses? Way to keep it simple: here's my cool new laptop and my dozen adaptors, and my new lame power brick without the clasps for wrapping it and making it look tidy. Cheap. Real Cheap Apple. Fix the keyboard issue and I'll be happy, and put the clasps back on the power brick!

Stuck keys on Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.