Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs appearing as unknown artist

Hello

wondering if anyone can help: for Most of the songs on my iTunes - if they are just single songs not part of an album I have always left the album name as blank.

recently though, instead of all of ththe we songs appearing in that “unknown album” folder they are now appearing seperatly: this is really annoying as I now have to click into each folder to find the song I want.

is there any any way I can get it back to how it used to be?

thanks.

iUser uploaded file

iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Apr 29, 2018 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2018 7:09 PM

Since you cannot change the way iOS currently behaves with your metadata you can either live with things as they are, or tweak the metadata so it works better for you. Are you on Mac or Windows? I have a number of Windows scripts that might help at Scripts for iTunes for Windows or if you have a Mac you can try Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes. For example you could set the album name to <Artist Name> or <Artist Name> Songs for all tracks that are currently unknown albums with a script. This would be able to update thousands of tracks in a matter of minutes.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2018 7:09 PM in response to Inthedeep

Since you cannot change the way iOS currently behaves with your metadata you can either live with things as they are, or tweak the metadata so it works better for you. Are you on Mac or Windows? I have a number of Windows scripts that might help at Scripts for iTunes for Windows or if you have a Mac you can try Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes. For example you could set the album name to <Artist Name> or <Artist Name> Songs for all tracks that are currently unknown albums with a script. This would be able to update thousands of tracks in a matter of minutes.

tt2

May 3, 2018 12:26 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply.

I have thousands of songs, there is no way i have the time or want to rename the "album name" the same as the song name - it will take me forever.

This never used to be a problem - it's something that has just occurred recently.

RE: The screen shot i posted above - Previously when i selected that artist it would bring up one folder "Unknown album" and inside that folder all 9 of the songs would appear.

Now when i select that artists (and every other artists in my library) it is bringing up 9 "unknown album folders" each folder containing one song. The itunes folder on my desktop only lists one "unknown album" under this artists as per normal so i am not sure why the ios library is different now.

Songs appearing as unknown artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.