Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support for Bluetooth PAN profile?

I am using a windows mobile 5 phone with my mac and have been able to connect to the internet easily by connecting via a usb cable, but would prefer to connect via bluetooth. In the past this was done using the bluetooth DUN (dial-up networking) profile. It seems the trend is toward the PAN profile to enable this, which is how my new phone does it. Windows supports this profile in its bluetooth stack. But I cannot find any information on os x's support or planned support for this.

Does anyone know if this is planned for leopard or for a patch release in tiger?

cheers,

Aaron

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 31, 2007 10:13 AM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2007 10:42 PM in response to aswanson

It now works in OS X as of 10.4.9! I tested on both my Dulie G5 and my MacBookPro.

Here are the steps I took to make it happen, pretty simple. But it took some playing around to get it.
-----------

Open the Bluetooth Preference Pane, Click Devices, select your device and click Configure.

It will scan your device; Click 'Continue'

It should then display the Conclusion screen that will contain "Use as personal area network"

Click Quit

Click Settings and be sure "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar" is Checked.

On your WM5 device connect your network using the Internet Sharing application.

Back on your Mac go to the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, click and select "Join Network on <devicename>"

Your on! Oddly on my Macbook it shows under the Network prefs as a Ethernet Adaptor, but on my G5 it shows as Bluetooth PDA.

Thanks for the update Apple!! 🙂

Mar 28, 2007 7:36 AM in response to vwremglx

Ok. But in System Preferences > Network > Network Port Configurations I have now the option Ethernet Adaptor (en2) instead of Bluetooth PAN. How can I come back to the Bluetooth PAN?

Im System Preferences > Sharing > Internet I had the option to share my internet connection to a computer using Ethernet Adaptor (en2). Now this options disappeared.

Anybody can help me?

MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Support for Bluetooth PAN profile?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.