Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X Score Editor Help!

I am writing some parts for a quartet of piano, violins, cello, etc and need to export as both PDF files and MusicXML files for Sibelius (which I don't have here).

Both of these are easy enough, but have 5 midi files of all the instruments playing together.

So have a few questions in delivering the files :

1. When I select all of the midi files in the Logic X arrangement and highlight together, only the piano part is shown on the Score Editor?

2. The piano part is only in Treble Clef and needs to be split into two hands, and with the some of the ledger lines going so low, the left hand would need some bass clef. How do I do this?

3. How do I get all the instruments on the same music sheet page so they can all play together?

I think this is down to my individual preferences and settings on my Logic Pro X, but have no idea when it comes to the Score Editor in here?

Thank you

Posted on May 1, 2018 2:21 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

May 14, 2018 4:55 AM in response to pitchfork

Thanks for your screenshots.

The problem is that you are not viewing the correct level.

You do not need to glue anything together.

Let's review your first screenshot:

1. Select the Score Editor area so that you get a blue highlight around that editor instead of the Tracks area. You can see that the inspector changes to reflect that you are now viewing Score parameters.
  2. Click the Display Level Button. Now you see the Filter parameter changing from Piano to All instruments, and you will be able to view all instruments including their name.
  3. Click the Link button so that it is in its grey state. This will let you select regions freely in the tracks area without the exiting All Instruments view.

User uploaded file

May 14, 2018 3:46 AM in response to pitchfork

pitchfork wrote:

The names of the other tracks/instruments are not showing, only the piano? so nothing else is named?

They should be named by default.

Can you share a screenshot of your Main arrange page with the tracks and another one of your Score editor?

…cello needs to be in bass clef…

…viola needs to be in alto clef…

…The two violins need to be in treble…

You can select a prepared Staff style in the inspector.

You should find options for Violoncello, Viola, and Treble there:

User uploaded file

I am using Logic's Library instruments as its a small quartet, so everything is contained in Logic rather than other libraries for compatibility.

Does Logic's own library samples like Violin/Viola/clarinet, span the same as the real instruments? so I know the range of the instruments when playing? I think some of mine go 'out of range' for the particular instrument like violin?

They mostly do not.

There are some libraries that do use the correct note range for the different instruments thou.

An example of this are the new Studio Horns.

Here's a nice website that can help with note ranges:

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/explore/instruments/

I now have the option of a Clarinet to add to the mix, which i believe is Bb whilst the song is in C/Am

There is no prepared Staff style for clarinet by default but you can use the Trumpet Bb set if you want.

You can also duplicate the Trumpet and rename it to Clarinet if you feel like being organised.

Thank you for any help on this as its the first time i've ever gone near the score editor! and just need readable PDF exports really.

I'm glad I could be of help. 🙂

May 14, 2018 4:37 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

Ok so I am back in the Score editor with a simple arrangement at the top.

I selected All, but only the piano is shown?

User uploaded file

Next I select all the Violas on the next track but only the first region is shown?

User uploaded file

Do you have to glue all regions within a track for everything to show?

Also not sure how I get everything sitting together with a Music Title name, and a BPM for example?

I've never seen this?

The music and arrangement is finished, its just my score editor and exporting seem a total mess! lol

May 14, 2018 2:36 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

This is very helpful, however i am still having trouble with the export process, mainly as a PDF

I have tracks for Piano, Violas, Cello, and Violin 1 and Violin 2.

When using your above gif's I am still getting weird PDF exports,

1. The names of the other tracks/instruments are not showing, only the piano? so nothing else is named?

2. The cello needs to be in bass clef

3. The viola needs to be in alto clef

4. The two violins need to be in treble

5. The piano is all in right hand, but think that this is now fixed and is both left and right hand

6. I now have the option of a Clarinet to add to the mix, which i believe is Bb whilst the song is in C/Am

I am using Logic's Library instruments as its a small quartet, so everything is contained in Logic rather than other libraries for compatibility.

Does Logic's own library samples like Violin/Viola/clarinet, span the same as the real instruments? so I know the range of the instruments when playing? I think some of mine go 'out of range' for the particular instrument like violin?

Thank you for any help on this as its the first time i've ever gone near the score editor! and just need readable PDF exports really. The music is completed and fine, its just the exports have come out a mess??

Thanks

May 14, 2018 3:50 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

Thank you Cuauhtemoc! For such a detailed answer!

I will look at this later, and go through your steps as a newbie to the Score Editor, it seems quite frightening, especially when other musicians who have no idea what Logic is (string players etc) are waiting for your sheet music! lol

Thank you again and I will attach screen shots and any questions 🙂

May 16, 2018 4:09 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

You have been a great help Cuauhtemoc, and am using your template to start another, hopefully knowing that it will retain the settings in Logic Score editor.

Just a quick question (s), the score editor seems to be ok again after using this template of yours, but the Instrument names aren't showing again for the staves? Is there a way to show these from the Logic tracks in the arrange?

Also is there a way to put a double bar stop on the end of the sheet music (been requested)? I did think dragging the song end in Logic would create one, but it doesn't?

And finally, how do i record the articulation switch in 'Studio Strings' to move from legato to say, staccatto on say bar 37?
Is this midi note info or line automation??

Thank you!

Logic Pro X Score Editor Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.