Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ive upgraded to Hig Sierra and now Logic 9 wont work/load.

Ive upgraded to High Sierra and now Logic 9 won't work/load. Am I compelled to pay for an upgrade because I've upgraded my OS ? Is there a way I can still use Logic 9 as is ?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on May 4, 2018 12:47 PM

13 replies

May 5, 2018 8:55 AM in response to BenB

Hi Ben, there's 3 reasons. 1. it costs £200 and is sold as a new product ( despite being called Logic 10 ...developed from Logic 9 ) not an upgrade so continuity and stability with existing long term clients,happy with Logic 9 (me), is lost and by playing alittle game with the definition of wht it is they justify slapping a £200 bill on an upgrade that should be a nominal cost especially to 20 year long clients.... 2) Every update with logic I've engaged with has resulted in at least a week of time consuming learnings and changes including losing sounds and functions which if your in the middle of a project (me) is highly stressful. 3. I hate with a passion the fact that Logic/Apple force you to buy a new product rather than resolve an existing issue . They build obselesence into their products which is un-ethical and unsustainable and every enforced upgrade results in chaos and cost with third party platforms that then have to be adjusted and upgraded to suit.It's a massive scam served up with thinly veiled smoke and mirrors sales talk. I spent 20 minutes on the phone today disussing the issue with an Apple/logic rep who used most of the time trying to sell me Logic 10 rather than suggesting a work-around or giving me a satisfactory explanation as to why I should accept Apples planet- shafting greedy policies. I'll come back to you when I think of some more , I promise there will be.

May 6, 2018 6:41 AM in response to Mbonz

Logic Pro X is not an "upgrade", it is a whole new app re-written from the ground up. It is cheaper than "upgrades" used to cost with legacy Logic Pro. All upgrades for LPX have and will be free. Logic 9 was discontinued YEARS go.

The operating system has evolved, uses newer technology, and older 32 bit apps simply won't run on it today. All operating systems have this same evolutionary process. It is not unique to Apple.

Logic Pro X is far superior to the legacy app. It is very worth the upgrade. And if you can't afford the price after all these YEARS of Logic 9 being discontinued, well, I have no idea what to tell you.

If you own a Ford Model T, the Ford motor company today can't help you fix anything. Does that make them a dishonest company?

May 6, 2018 7:55 AM in response to BenB

Fair points, mostly well made.Except the model T ford analogy .I wouldnt expect a company to support a 1908 production in 2018 as a proffesional service,its a very poor comparison but it does present an interesting measure of scale. Here we are discussing a piece of technology that is only 9 years old from a platform brand I've been using since 1999/2000 - thats 18 years which is not long (unless you're in the 19-36 years old age range ) . Logic X looks great and all my friends that use it say they wouldnt go back. But I dont want it right now because Im in the middle of something and right now disruptive advance is far worse than stability. People still record on tape and press onto vinyl,does that make them luddite ? .The obsession with advance, change and growth is not always in everyones best interests.

May 7, 2018 8:57 AM in response to BenB

Tell this to individuals trying to use Logic on Retina machines.

Quicktime to AV is only part of the foundation.

I do not know one studio using Logic X as it's main recording application, Logic 9 is still favored for it's stability and efficiency. Projects that Logic 9 play effortlessly cause Logic-X to fall over. That said, I do like some of the new ergonomic improvements, but I'm not a Logic x cheerleader yet.

May 8, 2018 4:13 AM in response to Pancenter

I run a professional studio with LPX 10.4, and I know several others I work with on a regular basis. All have both LPX and PT. Depends on the producer/engineer on the project. Even the PT users are not using the latest version of it. So what? That is very off topic to the OP. Not sure what your point is.

If you don't like 10.4, use 10.3 or 10.2. It's a non-issue.

Plus, I know of NO professional studio that I work with that still has any version of anything that's been outdated for YEARS.

We're running 10.4 with zero issues. But that's just us making a living doing media production full time, and have been for two decades now. So what would I know?

Ive upgraded to Hig Sierra and now Logic 9 wont work/load.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.