Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert to APFS

hello
guys! So I Just upgraded my old Mid-2010 White Unibody MacBook with 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD.
I installed a new copy of Mac OS High sierra and enabled TRIM.
Also I tried to startup in recovery mode to be able to convert the drive’s format from Mac OS extended Journaled to APFS but the option appears to be dimmed and cannot select it. I read that this operat
ion is always possible as long as you’re using an SSD.
Does anyone know if I’m doing something wrong here?
Your help will be pretty much appreciated!
J

Posted on May 4, 2018 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2018 5:50 PM

Non-Destructive APFS Conversion

Apple provides non-destructive methods for start-up disk drives for APFS conversion, and hence no data (files or folders) will be lost. On the other hand, APFS formatting will erase all the files and folders stored on the external hard drive. If not backed up earlier, APFS formatting on the external drive will cause data loss. Even with the start-up drive, one may delete or lose files from the APFS formatted media.

How to Upgrade to APFS if Not Done in macOS High Sierra Installer - The Mac Observer

Always advised to have a current backup plan in place, especially upgrades, updates, file conversion— in this way you can fall back with no lose of data if something goes wrong. You can google "3-2-1 backup strategy" for more info.

How to create a boot clone

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2018 5:50 PM in response to Meshamem

Non-Destructive APFS Conversion

Apple provides non-destructive methods for start-up disk drives for APFS conversion, and hence no data (files or folders) will be lost. On the other hand, APFS formatting will erase all the files and folders stored on the external hard drive. If not backed up earlier, APFS formatting on the external drive will cause data loss. Even with the start-up drive, one may delete or lose files from the APFS formatted media.

How to Upgrade to APFS if Not Done in macOS High Sierra Installer - The Mac Observer

Always advised to have a current backup plan in place, especially upgrades, updates, file conversion— in this way you can fall back with no lose of data if something goes wrong. You can google "3-2-1 backup strategy" for more info.

How to create a boot clone

May 4, 2018 3:12 PM in response to Meshamem

Not sure about this but I don't believe you can convert HFS+ to APFS non-destructively. I just checked on my machine and find the same constraint. I am not able to convert my HFS+ volumes to APFS. You will need to reformat the SSD from scratch as APFS.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the new SSD volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

May 4, 2018 2:58 PM in response to Kappy

Sorry about that, The SSD was formatted Mac OS extended journaled GUID no partitions. I checked in disk utility and it says it‘s Mac OS extended journaled still, so it is definitely not using the APFS format.

I boot the computer in recovery mode and then I open disk utility to convert to APFS but the option is dimmed. I just can’t select it.

May 5, 2018 8:42 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Interesting William Kucharski, never heard this. Seems a work around however for those poor souls is install High Sierra using HFS. Once the installer is in the Applications folder, users can launch from the command line:

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

Not the case here however.

The OWC Aura is a PCIe-based flash SSD. The 2010 MBP is a classic 2.5'' form factor.

cheers !

Convert to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.