Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Taking the leap to Logic 10.4.1 now safe?

So I am finally considering installing 10.4.1, I will first have to update fron El Capitan to Sierra.

I just want to know if its really worth the huge risk?

I am on Logic 10.3.2 and stable with El Capitan.

I have checked in the Apple store and they said all should be fine with the following:

(Though I dont trust the kids in the Apple store!)

Please simply confirm all the following will still work.

Logic!

Pro Tools 12.5

EZ drummer

UA Apollo Twin

UA Apollo 8

Microsoft works 2008

I have a time machine back up but really dont want to need to use it as I am not familiar with it at all, I cant risk any of the above not working, and I wouldnt know how to revert to El Capitan with Time Machine. So if you can confirm the above apps will work, then I will take the leap to Sierra.

If not, then I will just stay put with El Capitan and Logic 10.3.2

Many thanks for your help

Posted on May 4, 2018 11:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2018 5:21 AM

Hi

If you are thinking about upgrading your OS to Sierra ( or even High Sierra), it would be smart to test everything on a bootable clone of your current OS drive to make sure ( that way you can simply restart from your El Cap OS):

On an empty external drive, make a bootable clone of your current OS using Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or similar.

Start the Mac from the Clone.

Upgrade the OS on the clone and unmount the current OS drive

Zip LPX10.3.x to keep a copy for safety on the clone

Update LPX to v10.4.1 on the clone

Test everything to make sure all works.

When you've done that, I would ( as a pessimist) make another backup clone of current El Cap OS before I either repeated the update process or cloned the testbed back to the main OS drive.

CCT

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2018 5:21 AM in response to kerochan

Hi

If you are thinking about upgrading your OS to Sierra ( or even High Sierra), it would be smart to test everything on a bootable clone of your current OS drive to make sure ( that way you can simply restart from your El Cap OS):

On an empty external drive, make a bootable clone of your current OS using Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or similar.

Start the Mac from the Clone.

Upgrade the OS on the clone and unmount the current OS drive

Zip LPX10.3.x to keep a copy for safety on the clone

Update LPX to v10.4.1 on the clone

Test everything to make sure all works.

When you've done that, I would ( as a pessimist) make another backup clone of current El Cap OS before I either repeated the update process or cloned the testbed back to the main OS drive.

CCT

May 10, 2018 10:13 PM in response to kerochan

Quick update to this!

I asked my studio engineer friend about updating, he asked what is the point if I am happy with my system and its running fine?

He did point out that my present UA interface driver wouldnt work and would need updating to use the UA Console software, not a huge deal but thats just one thing!

Its likley My Pro Tools version wont work nor some other applications.

He has run a successful studio for many years and says that the Logic version they use is a few years old and has no plans to upgrade.

So I have decided to stay put until the day I am forced to upgrade/update.

I will say that Logic 10.3.2 with El Capitan 10.11.3 with my system us running just fine!

I will miss out on whatever new Logic features come along of course,

But I will also happily miss out on the dissruptive headaches that updates can bring!

May 10, 2018 10:41 PM in response to kerochan

Ok so you need to clone your system, upgrade and then test. I recently did that. Logic is truly miles improved interms of functionality, responsiveness and look. I was coming from 10.2.4 under El capitan. I did experience some single core spikes that made it difficult to record on a 2,4Ghz 8-core, 5,1 Mac Pro. So I decided to upgrade my mac pro to a 3.46Ghz 12 core mac pro, 48Gig Ram. I must say logic is probably now the most stable its ever been for me since Snow Leopard. I still have single core spikes but I have realized it happens when you've done heavy duty work for a while between large songs that causes it. What helps is if you close LPX and restart and then your single core performance comes right. Still busy investigating it all with NI and EastWest but mostly I think its an amazing version of LPX right now. Hope you have a positive one. God bless.

Taking the leap to Logic 10.4.1 now safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.