Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is erasure of MacMini drive and reinstallation of High Sierra my best option?

Last week was hit with RansomWare but managed to escape. However, the next day when I ran High Sierra 10.13.4 and Safari 11.1 and tried to view Google News, I got a redirect screen repeatedly. But I had no similar difficulty when I used Firefox to view Google News. Yet all sorts of strange things keep happening from time to time.

For example, data files in several windows now have zero contents. Some time after that discovery I opened a window that contained a number of various files including an old Quicken Essentials data file. I watched as the top file became highlighted and the highlighting moved down file by file until it came to the Quicken file and stopped. I thought to myself, "That's odd--never seen that before." But later when I opened the window again the Quicken file size had changed to zero like had happened to some other files.

Although I already had two recent backups of my Mini boot drive, I made another. I suppose it will be infected with whatever malware is causing these strange things. So I'm wondering if the only solution is to start over with a clean re-installation of High Sierra. If so, how do I go about that?

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on May 6, 2018 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2018 6:43 AM

As painful as it is I think a clean install is your best bet. You might try running Malwarebytes before you resort to that and see if that sorts it.

To do a clean install, I'd suggest creating a clone.

You can use a cloning software like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopy Cloner.

With the clone you can drag and drop just your own data files from the clone to your new user account in the clean system, instead of migrating everything.

To do a clean install follow the instructions in this Support Topic:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

1. Select Disk Utility from the utilities window of macOS Recovery, then click Continue.
  2. Select your device or volume in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
  3. Click the Erase button or tab.
  4. Complete these fields:
  5. Click Erase to begin erasing your disk.
  6. When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window. You're now ready to install macOS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2018 6:43 AM in response to MacMiniJohn

As painful as it is I think a clean install is your best bet. You might try running Malwarebytes before you resort to that and see if that sorts it.

To do a clean install, I'd suggest creating a clone.

You can use a cloning software like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopy Cloner.

With the clone you can drag and drop just your own data files from the clone to your new user account in the clean system, instead of migrating everything.

To do a clean install follow the instructions in this Support Topic:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

1. Select Disk Utility from the utilities window of macOS Recovery, then click Continue.
  2. Select your device or volume in the sidebar of Disk Utility.
  3. Click the Erase button or tab.
  4. Complete these fields:
  5. Click Erase to begin erasing your disk.
  6. When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window. You're now ready to install macOS.

Is erasure of MacMini drive and reinstallation of High Sierra my best option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.