Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Energy Saver setting is not working

I have set my Energy Saver preference to turn display off after 10 minutes. It does not shut off.

Posted on May 7, 2018 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2018 12:44 PM

Hello edeee,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that your Mac is not going to sleep when you have the Energy Saver preferences set to turn the display off after 10 minutes. The following article has some information about this type of issue you may find helpful:

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

If your Mac doesn't go to sleep when you expect

Check your Energy Saver settings as described above, and be aware that your Mac won't automatically go to sleep unless it's inactive:

• The same network activities that can wake your Mac can also keep your Mac from sleeping.
  • Any app or other process that's running on your Mac could also be keeping your Mac awake. Check the Energy Saver pane of Activity Monitor to identify apps that need your Mac to be awake. If "Yes" appears in the Preventing Sleep column for an app, your Mac won't automatically sleep while the app is running. Other apps prevent sleep only when doing certain things, such playing music or video, printing, or downloading files.

If you started from macOS Recovery on a Mac notebook, automatic sleep is disabled as long as the Mac is using AC power.

Best Regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2018 12:44 PM in response to edeee

Hello edeee,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that your Mac is not going to sleep when you have the Energy Saver preferences set to turn the display off after 10 minutes. The following article has some information about this type of issue you may find helpful:

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

If your Mac doesn't go to sleep when you expect

Check your Energy Saver settings as described above, and be aware that your Mac won't automatically go to sleep unless it's inactive:

• The same network activities that can wake your Mac can also keep your Mac from sleeping.
  • Any app or other process that's running on your Mac could also be keeping your Mac awake. Check the Energy Saver pane of Activity Monitor to identify apps that need your Mac to be awake. If "Yes" appears in the Preventing Sleep column for an app, your Mac won't automatically sleep while the app is running. Other apps prevent sleep only when doing certain things, such playing music or video, printing, or downloading files.

If you started from macOS Recovery on a Mac notebook, automatic sleep is disabled as long as the Mac is using AC power.

Best Regards.

Energy Saver setting is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.