Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assign to Dock - not working

(macOs High Sierra Version 10.13.4)

Hi, I am having problems with assigning apps/programmes to Desktops. I have a new Mac Air and this has been the case sine I got it.

All the functions are there (see below). however, if I assign for example Safari to Desktop 2, it automatically opens in Desktop 4 the next time I restart it. Very frustrating if you're slightly OCD like me😁.

Any advice please, its driving me nuts!!!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 7, 2018 11:20 PM

5 replies

May 8, 2018 12:22 PM in response to hein102

If the above doesn't work, try doing a Dock restart using the following Terminal command:

killall Dock

Log out/in and test. If that doesn’t work, you need to look in your user Library/Application Support/Dock for the .db. Use the Finder “Go To Folder” command. Enter ~/Library/Application Support/Dock. Move the .db to your desktop.

Then try a dock reset.

Applications/Utilities/Terminal enter the command

killall Dock

Log out/in test. If it works okay, delete the .db from the desktop.

If the Dock is the same, return the .db to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Learned from leonie.

Assign to Dock - not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.