Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G3 iBook video/display problems

I have a 900MHz G3 iBook that has been having some issues with the video and/or display. When I start up the machine, either the screen is blank, I get the gray screen with the Apple logo and fuzzy lines, I get the half gray and half black, or I get multiple colors. The logic board has already been replaced once. Is there anything else that I can do?

G3 iBook 900MHz 384MB RAM 40GB hard drive ATI video card w/32MB VRAM, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Feb 1, 2007 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2007 12:41 AM

It sounds like you may be having logic board problems again. You probably know that enough Dual USB G3 iBooks suffered from the logic board problem that Apple began the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program in January of 2004. Check out the FAQ page and if the symptoms look familiar, give Apple a call. If the iBook qualifies, it's a free fix. Again. (Mine has been back three times.)

You can find the original purchase date of the iBook, by entering its serial number into the box toward the bottom right of Apple's main support page under "About Your Support Coverage."

If it is past the three-year time limit (which it well may be), try calling Apple at (800) 767-2775 and ask for Customer Relations (NOT Customer Service--they can't help you) and ask them to please make an exception to the three-year limit in your case.

If the answer from Apple is absolutely, positively, "NO!" you may want to consider trying the shim fix suggested by John Sawyer in the Apple Discussions iBook G3 (Dual USB) Displays Forum:

[Y]ou can often fix this yourself by removing the iBook's bottom housing, and placing a shim of any sort, about 1mm to 1.5mm thick, onto the raised square on the bottom shield. I use a Scotch mounting square--you can get them in hardware stores and many grocery stores. When you reinstall the bottom case, it will press against this shim, which will press against the graphics chip, and may allow the chip to come into better contact with the logic board.
John Sawyer
CJS Macintosh Repair

Instructions for removing the lower case:

iFixit.com

If Apple doesn't come through, and the shim fix doesn't work (or you're leery of trying it), DT & T Computer Services in Fremont, California offers the cheapest repair I've found. They have a six-month warranty on the repair.

Once you get it fixed, try never to pick it up by the left front corner alone. Rumor has it that can contribute to logic board failure when the case flexes, causing the graphics chip to come loose from the logic board. If you're picking it up in your left hand (as I often do mine), pick it up in the center under the trackpad.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2007 12:41 AM in response to thebigopu

It sounds like you may be having logic board problems again. You probably know that enough Dual USB G3 iBooks suffered from the logic board problem that Apple began the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program in January of 2004. Check out the FAQ page and if the symptoms look familiar, give Apple a call. If the iBook qualifies, it's a free fix. Again. (Mine has been back three times.)

You can find the original purchase date of the iBook, by entering its serial number into the box toward the bottom right of Apple's main support page under "About Your Support Coverage."

If it is past the three-year time limit (which it well may be), try calling Apple at (800) 767-2775 and ask for Customer Relations (NOT Customer Service--they can't help you) and ask them to please make an exception to the three-year limit in your case.

If the answer from Apple is absolutely, positively, "NO!" you may want to consider trying the shim fix suggested by John Sawyer in the Apple Discussions iBook G3 (Dual USB) Displays Forum:

[Y]ou can often fix this yourself by removing the iBook's bottom housing, and placing a shim of any sort, about 1mm to 1.5mm thick, onto the raised square on the bottom shield. I use a Scotch mounting square--you can get them in hardware stores and many grocery stores. When you reinstall the bottom case, it will press against this shim, which will press against the graphics chip, and may allow the chip to come into better contact with the logic board.
John Sawyer
CJS Macintosh Repair

Instructions for removing the lower case:

iFixit.com

If Apple doesn't come through, and the shim fix doesn't work (or you're leery of trying it), DT & T Computer Services in Fremont, California offers the cheapest repair I've found. They have a six-month warranty on the repair.

Once you get it fixed, try never to pick it up by the left front corner alone. Rumor has it that can contribute to logic board failure when the case flexes, causing the graphics chip to come loose from the logic board. If you're picking it up in your left hand (as I often do mine), pick it up in the center under the trackpad.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

Mar 10, 2007 1:40 PM in response to thebigopu

Hi, i actually just answered a question like this, so heres what i wrote there! (i have actually been researching this a lot over the past few days, so i could buy a broken one for steal on ebay!)

Yes, this is definitely a logic board problem, and yes the shim technique does work, but not forever. Eventually, the GPU will become loose again and you will need to add shims until there is a slight bulge in your beautiful white iBook. There is another technique which you can use, but it is not for the faint of heart and those who absolutely rely on their iBook as their main computer.
When the Ati GPUs were put into the iBook G3's, there was an issue with the way the GPU was attached to the logic board. The method of attachment is a BGA (Ball grid array)which basically means that the chip itself is held on by many little balls of metal soldered onto the board.Over time, flexing can cause these balls to separate slightly, resulting in a loss of or scrambled video. This means that one way to premanently reattach it to the board is feasible. However, it also involves using a VERY hot heat gun to reflow thw solder under the chip, allowing it to sink back into place. Essentially, you need to heat the GPU to the point that the solder under it liquifies again and allows the chip to reallign itself. For thorough instructions on how to do this, you can do a quick google search for walkthroughs. i also will put up links to a few pages including a video of someone doing the same to an xbox 360. i really hope this helps!

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbook/210232/diy-ibook-dual-usb-logic-boa rd/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6910389051301515628&q=air%20fix&hl=en

HP dv6120us Windows XP 1G RAM, 120G HDD, 1.73Ghz Core Duo

Mar 14, 2007 9:12 AM in response to thebigopu

Hi Im new here, Just got my ibook g3 and realized the same problem and Im going to do the shim fix this evening. I was trying to find the tools that are shown in the instructions to remove the lower case. Does anyone know where I can get a spudger? I called compusa and they say that its only for their techs. Also has anyone actually used the Scotch mounting squares? I see that alot of you have used other things, I just wanted to know what were your some of your experiences.

Mar 15, 2007 9:17 AM in response to Sunny314

I'm using a cut up credit card. I didn't use any special tools, I just carefully got the bottom case loose started behind the battery with a real small screwdriver and gently worked it around until it all came off. You just need to gently open up the clips you can see behind the battery and from there you can apply pressure towards the outside of the case and work your way around (if you are looking at it upside down, start in the upper right corner where the battery was and work counter clock wise - at least that way worked for me)

G3 iBook video/display problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.