Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Disconnects when Lock Screen active

Whilst at Home, I've been wondering why with the iOS 11 release, I keep seeing messages saying that such and such an application doesn't have access to Mobile data, particularly when unlocking my device. Being at home, I'd have expected my iPhone to be constantly connected to my Home WiFi.

So, as a test, a ran a simple "ping" command from my PC, to the IP Address of my iPhone whilst it's attached to my Home Wireless router. Shortly after the iPhone screen goes dark, the Ping results start showing "Request timed out." followed by "Destination host unreachable". This continues until I press the Home button again.

So clearly, whilst the iPhone is in Lock-screen mode, the WiFi is disconnected. This didn't happen with Prior versions of iOS, so why now ?

As a consequence of this, iPhone system apps will now use the Carrier's 3/4G network for data (as you can't disable them) and any other application that you may have specifically permissioned for Mobile data access will be able to chew up your Carrier's data allowance. This explains why I've been seeing my data Mobile data usage creep up even though I haven't been away for WiFi.

Why is this now happening, it's surely a problem - particularly if you stream music overnight whilst you sleep.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1

Posted on May 9, 2018 12:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2018 6:19 AM

svaardt wrote:

So clearly, whilst the iPhone is in Lock-screen mode, the WiFi is disconnected. This didn't happen with Prior versions of iOS, so why now ?

Yes, it's the way it has always worked. It shouldn't happen, though, if your phone is plugged into a power source.

Similar questions

17 replies

May 30, 2018 7:46 AM in response to svaardt

svaardt wrote:

It's not just the Notes & Contacts but the Email account setup by my Phone Service provider - I don't have a password for this.

You should have the password for your email account. If you don't, inquire with your provider on how to reset it. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

To back up your device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

May 11, 2018 7:40 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hello IdrisSeabright,

Thanks for the reply, though I conducted my simple ping test with the Power cable plugged in. (A few seconds after pressing the power button - to lock the screen - the ping goes into a series of "Request timed out", until I press the Home button again.

Also, I've really only started noticing these messages concerning "You're not connected to Mobile Data" following the 11.x iOS release. Before then, I had not seen those messages, and indeed I believe since that release, I have raised in another thread, that I've noticed this release uses more Mobile data than previous versions. I think, this matter, may explain why.

How best to have this matter looked into further ?

Thanks

PS. It also seems I need to unlock the iPhone in order to use something like the Flash light function.

May 11, 2018 8:27 AM in response to svaardt

svaardt wrote:

Also, I've really only started noticing these messages concerning "You're not connected to Mobile Data" following the 11.x iOS release. Before then, I had not seen those messages, and indeed I believe since that release, I have raised in another thread, that I've noticed this release uses more Mobile data than previous versions. I think, this matter, may explain why.

"Mobile Data" isn't WiFi so I'm unclear how messages telling you your not connected to it is relevant.

PS. It also seems I need to unlock the iPhone in order to use something like the Flash light function.

The Control Center should work even if the screen is locked. Make sure you're starting at the very bottom edge of the screen when you swipe up.

May 13, 2018 7:56 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes, I totally agree with you that data across "Mobile" #G Network isn't WiFi, but when WiFi is not available, Data is sourced via the Mobile Network if the "Mobile Data" function is switched on, and if that App has been permissioned for Mobile Data access. For the Myriad of System Services, it's always available - you cant switch them off.

So, what I am saying, is that a change has occurred in iOS 11 that makes these Messages relating to Mobile Data access more frequent, especially when unlocking the screen. Either this is because the WiFi is switched off whilst the screen is locked (proven), or once unlocked WiFi now take longer to reestablish and Apps therefore try Mobile data. Eitherways, the behaviour is different than before, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.

The Control center no longer works for me when the screen is locked, I have to unlock before "Swiping" upwards. I have an iPhone 6s - sourced in Japan - MKQU2J/A, perhaps there's a difference from other regional phones - say for example, those in the US or elsewhere ?

May 14, 2018 6:30 AM in response to svaardt

svaardt wrote:

The Control center no longer works for me when the screen is locked, I have to unlock before "Swiping" upwards. I have an iPhone 6s - sourced in Japan - MKQU2J/A, perhaps there's a difference from other regional phones - say for example, those in the US or elsewhere ?

Yes, there are differences in phones based on region but behavior of the Control Center is not one of those differences.

I think it's time you restored your phone from a back up and tested it. If that doesn't resolve the issues, restore as new and test.

May 17, 2018 9:06 AM in response to svaardt

There's some corrupted data on your phone. When you restore the back up, it puts whatever it is back on the phone. If it were my phone, I'd transfer all of my pictures to my computer, archive my messages using PhoneView (Mac), save files from any other apps that were important, then restore the phone as new. I'd then download my apps, and start over.

May 22, 2018 8:06 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hello Iris, I have to agree that it sounds like the OS has become corrupted in some form... It must be the OS since that's what controls the swipe screen right ? But it's so weird, corruption would lead to crashes right ? Not some functionality change ? Perhaps this is some hidden security feature that blocks access to the Control Center unless the phone is unlocked ? Who would know more about that ?

May 23, 2018 6:32 AM in response to svaardt

svaardt wrote:

Hello Iris, I have to agree that it sounds like the OS has become corrupted in some form... It must be the OS since that's what controls the swipe screen right ? But it's so weird, corruption would lead to crashes right ? Not some functionality change ?

It really depends on exactly what the corruption is. And, it's most likely in your data as that's what gets restored when you restore from a back up.

Perhaps this is some hidden security feature that blocks access to the Control Center unless the phone is unlocked ? Who would know more about that ?

No, it is most likely not. If it were, it would happen to everyone or there would be an option for it.

May 25, 2018 6:16 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I can easily backup photos and restore again, by connecting the iPhone to my PC via the special Apple USB cable, however what about other things, such as my contacts lists, notes, etc. How can I back up just these and restore again to the iPhone ?

I have everything on my phone - the problem with iCloud, is that I cant see what's there, so when switching back and forth I've been informed that I will loose one or the other. So I now avoid iCloud (its only 5GB and my iPhone has 128GB).

May 30, 2018 7:34 AM in response to svaardt

It's not just the Notes & Contacts but the Email account setup by my Phone Service provider - I don't have a password for this. I tried various Free apps that purported to allow me to do this, but in reality they didn't work - a pity really.

Needless to say, the more I looked into it, the more it seemed like a humongous amount of effort to try and fix something that should not have become broken in the first place.

So I tried the "Reset All Settings" option under the Settings -> General menu. This actually fixed the problem.

Sadly, I now have to redo all the settings which for things like Siri & Search is a pain, since I have to go through each item turning each option off.

May 31, 2018 6:31 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Re: Password for eMail ... I visited the Provider today (KDDI, Japan) they do not provide a password it seems, instead they provide a web-based installation function to setup the account on a new iPhone.

The Swiping up issue whilst the iPhone screen is locked has now been resolved by "Resetting the Settings".

The WiFi disconnection when the iPhone screen is locked issue has not been, which is troubling since when unlocking the phone, the first thing apps try to do, is to "call home" (i.e. "refresh") and Mobile data appears to be 1st on the list to try rather than WiFi - which presumably takes more time to reestablish that Mobile data does. Hence the new messages after unlocking a phone about whether I wish to allow such a such an application access to mobile data. Thankfully if I turn off mobile data these messages dont appear, but its a pain to have to reenable each time when actually heading away from WiFi.

I'm pretty sure this is a new feature, since these "Connect to Mobile Data" didnt appear every time I unlocked the phone whilst having apps in the background (even though I have background refresh turned off). And as system services cant be turned off... (iTune accounts, etc) all appear to use Mobile data thus chewing into my Providers pre-set data allowance.

Am I the only one to notice this issue ? If so, I guess it could be another case of "data corruption"..

May 31, 2018 6:43 AM in response to svaardt

The odd thing is, that if I run a ping command to my phone continuously, shortly after the lock screen is triggered and the screen goes dark I see "request timed out" being repeated maybe around 30 or so times, then it comes back to life for 5 or 6 responses, and then "request timed out" again. It seems to follow this pattern ad-infinitum.

WiFi Disconnects when Lock Screen active

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.