Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't see my 10,000+ photos in the Photos app after upgraing to High Sierra. I can only see a few. Where have my photos gone?

After upgrading to High Sierra, all of my photos seem to be lost from the Photos app. Where have they gone????

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 9, 2018 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2018 12:46 PM

Where have they gone????

Where do you keep your Photos Library stored? Your photos will be in your Photos Library. The Photos Library is by default in your Pictures folder. If your library has been on an external drive, check if your external drive is connected to your Mac and the file system format is compatible (MacOS Extended (Journaled)). Photos will not work with a Photos Library, if the drive, where you are keeping the library, has been used by Time Machine.

See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

If Photos opened a different library than you want to use, quit Photos. Then launch it again while holding down the options key ⌥, until the library chooser dialog appears. Then select the correct library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2018 12:46 PM in response to MehranJ510

Where have they gone????

Where do you keep your Photos Library stored? Your photos will be in your Photos Library. The Photos Library is by default in your Pictures folder. If your library has been on an external drive, check if your external drive is connected to your Mac and the file system format is compatible (MacOS Extended (Journaled)). Photos will not work with a Photos Library, if the drive, where you are keeping the library, has been used by Time Machine.

See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

If Photos opened a different library than you want to use, quit Photos. Then launch it again while holding down the options key ⌥, until the library chooser dialog appears. Then select the correct library.

I can't see my 10,000+ photos in the Photos app after upgraing to High Sierra. I can only see a few. Where have my photos gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.