Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving text notifications from one contact

One person on my contacts I’m not receiving any notification for. I’m receiving the text but no notifications what so ever. I’ve checked to make sure that that particular contact isn’t set to “do not disturb“ and that it isn’t set to “hide alerts”. I’ve tried reseting the phone, resetting the settings, I made their contact an emergency bypass, but still nothing. It happened after my phone updated yesterday and I don’t want to delete the conversation.

Posted on May 9, 2018 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2018 8:13 PM

Hi there, Maddy,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities.

After reading your post, I understand that you have not been receive a notification when receiving a message from just one person, even though they're not set to Do Not Disturb or have hide alerts enabled. I know it's important to be able to hear when a new message has arrived, and would be happy to help!

I see you've taken a few good troubleshooting steps already, and that you don't want to delete the Messages thread with this person. I definitely understand not wanting to lose that conversation, so the first thing I recommend doing is creating an iCloud or iTunes backup of the iPhone. This way, you'll have a copy of the thread just in case: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support .

Once you've done that, I would suggest reinstalling the iOS software on your iPhone. Since this started after an update, reinstalling might clear out whatever is causing the issue. You can reinstall using the steps under the "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" section of If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . This shouldn't remove any of your information, just reinstall the latest iOS software version.

If the issue continues after this, don't hesitate to respond back.

Best.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2018 8:13 PM in response to maddyfromcharlottetown

Hi there, Maddy,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities.

After reading your post, I understand that you have not been receive a notification when receiving a message from just one person, even though they're not set to Do Not Disturb or have hide alerts enabled. I know it's important to be able to hear when a new message has arrived, and would be happy to help!

I see you've taken a few good troubleshooting steps already, and that you don't want to delete the Messages thread with this person. I definitely understand not wanting to lose that conversation, so the first thing I recommend doing is creating an iCloud or iTunes backup of the iPhone. This way, you'll have a copy of the thread just in case: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support .

Once you've done that, I would suggest reinstalling the iOS software on your iPhone. Since this started after an update, reinstalling might clear out whatever is causing the issue. You can reinstall using the steps under the "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" section of If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . This shouldn't remove any of your information, just reinstall the latest iOS software version.

If the issue continues after this, don't hesitate to respond back.

Best.

Jun 21, 2018 7:58 AM in response to chuck_3rd

My wife's Iphone 7 has had the same issue since she upgrade to 11.3. If I send her SMS she gets the notification, if I send her iMessage she gets nothing. This happens to her on a few people. We followed all the instructions above and she still has the same issue. I have to keep switching to SMS to send her a message so she sees I sent them or else she has to keep looking at my messages to see if she sees a new message arrived. This is very frustrating.

Not receiving text notifications from one contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.