Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice for creating watercolour drop effect

Hello.

I am trying to produce a soft, faded 'watercolour drop on paper' effect.

I often use the 'ink heavy bleed 1' image brush to get ink 'splatter' or 'drop' effects, but my project requires something more subtle and soft - to look like a drop of watercolour paint on white paper.. seeping in and spreading out....

I have been experimenting with the levels filter with gaussian blur acting on the ink heavy bleed 01 brush...I don't have any real knowledge how how the levels filter works, but I think I got a slight step toward what I am trying to achieve.

I'm not actually sure that Motion 5 has the tools for this kind of effect, so I might be asking for the impossible, but I have learned to never underestimate the power of Motion 5 too, so I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

I wanted to come and ask the experts here for advice to see if there is a way.

Thanks.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12), 8gig ram, amd R9 M390, core 1%

Posted on May 10, 2018 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2018 2:37 AM

Ok... I think I have an idea what you want.

The idea is to create a single animation:

User uploaded file

Note that this is "monochromatic". It will be colorized later. This is just a simple circle that is animated from the top of the frame to the center over about 10 frames. The splatter effect is from the Library > Content > InkWash01.png. If you want to use the Shape > Style > Ink Bleed 01 Heavy, if you notice, every frame is more or less the same image just randomized size and angle (a little "stretching" thrown in). When you create a shape with that style, the "InkBleed"(.mov) file appears in the Layers List. Isolate it, turn on its visibility, pick a frame and export current frame (as a PNG); then re-import the image to use for an emitter. [You can do a lot of this same stuff with a shape style - it's essentially an emitter in itself...] The Ink Bleed (whichever you use) will be the source of an emitter. Set the Shape to Point, zero out Emission Angle and Rangle, Set the Life to 10 (or the entire length of your project). Set the Color Mode to Over Life, and set the Color Over Life Gradient to something like:

User uploaded file

Opacity tags are (left to right) 100%, 1.18% and 8.81%.

Color tags are: 0.5 (gray), 0.22 (gray)

[This "color" scheme works like this: as new particles are "dropped", they begin to spread (Scale Over Life); the older they are the larger they are. As the color changes over life, it gradually darkens... The opacities of each particle goes from "solid" to nearly transparent, then starts to increase it's opacity to intensify the edges slightly.]

Everything else is default.

Add a Scale Over Life. Set the Increment Type to Custom and the settings are:

Left: 0% Right: 100% - select the points and right-click on one of the keyframes and set the Interpolation to Logarithmic:

User uploaded file

When you've built the emitter, it needs to be shifted to start at the point the circle animation ends. Move the playhead to the end of the circle animation and with the emitter selected, type Shift-[ to move its start point to the playhead.

Both the image emitter and the animated circle must be in the same group. [Not important at this point: the group should have an Image Mask added to it and the source can be your icon shape - Invert Mask set.]

Select the group and type K to create a Clone. Type E to create a new emitter.

In the Emitter Cell Controls, down past the Scale parameters, you will see Play Frames and Random Start Frame. Turn off Random Start Frame. Each particle will now animate from its first frame to its last starting when it is "dropped".

The other Emitter Parameters:

Shape ... can be Rectangle with Random Fill. Width/Height somewhere around canvas dimensions. Emission Range set to 0. Life set to project length (Life parameter is in seconds.) Speed Parameters 0. Scale around 100% and Scale Randomness around 66%.

Depending on how many drops you want, set the Birth Rate/Birth Rate Randomness to taste.

To mix up the Colors, set Color Mode to Pick From Color Range and create a Color Range gradient. To make the colors look like watercolor, take each color option (tag) and open the System Color Picker, select the HSB Sliders tab and set the saturations to about 66%.

————————————

There are two problems with this setup:

You cannot vary the angle without varying the direction of the circle ("drop") animation.

If you vary the angle (randomness) and use an icon "cutout" it will also be rotated.

(Varying the angle of the splatter helps disguise the fact that it's all the same shape.)

You could manipulate the Scale Randomness (offset X and Y to different values) to create shape differences.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2018 2:37 AM in response to rowie302

Ok... I think I have an idea what you want.

The idea is to create a single animation:

User uploaded file

Note that this is "monochromatic". It will be colorized later. This is just a simple circle that is animated from the top of the frame to the center over about 10 frames. The splatter effect is from the Library > Content > InkWash01.png. If you want to use the Shape > Style > Ink Bleed 01 Heavy, if you notice, every frame is more or less the same image just randomized size and angle (a little "stretching" thrown in). When you create a shape with that style, the "InkBleed"(.mov) file appears in the Layers List. Isolate it, turn on its visibility, pick a frame and export current frame (as a PNG); then re-import the image to use for an emitter. [You can do a lot of this same stuff with a shape style - it's essentially an emitter in itself...] The Ink Bleed (whichever you use) will be the source of an emitter. Set the Shape to Point, zero out Emission Angle and Rangle, Set the Life to 10 (or the entire length of your project). Set the Color Mode to Over Life, and set the Color Over Life Gradient to something like:

User uploaded file

Opacity tags are (left to right) 100%, 1.18% and 8.81%.

Color tags are: 0.5 (gray), 0.22 (gray)

[This "color" scheme works like this: as new particles are "dropped", they begin to spread (Scale Over Life); the older they are the larger they are. As the color changes over life, it gradually darkens... The opacities of each particle goes from "solid" to nearly transparent, then starts to increase it's opacity to intensify the edges slightly.]

Everything else is default.

Add a Scale Over Life. Set the Increment Type to Custom and the settings are:

Left: 0% Right: 100% - select the points and right-click on one of the keyframes and set the Interpolation to Logarithmic:

User uploaded file

When you've built the emitter, it needs to be shifted to start at the point the circle animation ends. Move the playhead to the end of the circle animation and with the emitter selected, type Shift-[ to move its start point to the playhead.

Both the image emitter and the animated circle must be in the same group. [Not important at this point: the group should have an Image Mask added to it and the source can be your icon shape - Invert Mask set.]

Select the group and type K to create a Clone. Type E to create a new emitter.

In the Emitter Cell Controls, down past the Scale parameters, you will see Play Frames and Random Start Frame. Turn off Random Start Frame. Each particle will now animate from its first frame to its last starting when it is "dropped".

The other Emitter Parameters:

Shape ... can be Rectangle with Random Fill. Width/Height somewhere around canvas dimensions. Emission Range set to 0. Life set to project length (Life parameter is in seconds.) Speed Parameters 0. Scale around 100% and Scale Randomness around 66%.

Depending on how many drops you want, set the Birth Rate/Birth Rate Randomness to taste.

To mix up the Colors, set Color Mode to Pick From Color Range and create a Color Range gradient. To make the colors look like watercolor, take each color option (tag) and open the System Color Picker, select the HSB Sliders tab and set the saturations to about 66%.

————————————

There are two problems with this setup:

You cannot vary the angle without varying the direction of the circle ("drop") animation.

If you vary the angle (randomness) and use an icon "cutout" it will also be rotated.

(Varying the angle of the splatter helps disguise the fact that it's all the same shape.)

You could manipulate the Scale Randomness (offset X and Y to different values) to create shape differences.

May 14, 2018 6:22 PM in response to fox_m

Hi Fox_M,

This is the the target animation

User uploaded file

This is the best attempt I have done so far in Motion. I replicated a bezier point, with ink bleed heavy 01 as the brush source, and made an uber drop, with the replicator set to circle, and lots of points set to random fill. Then duplicated that replicator...and turned down the opacity of the one of the bottom and set it on a 45% angle..I also added a defocus blur filter....

This is a close as I have to the target so far......I think it is getting there, but it is still very clunky compared to the subtlety of the target. Is there anything you recommend from here? I think that things could be done with color filters...levels etc, to enhance the edges of the ink bleed...but I have had no luck with that yet, I just try different things blindly so far.

User uploaded file

Advice for creating watercolour drop effect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.