Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

every time i sync, i tunes re adds all my music

for the past 2 years, i've had the problem of itunes sycing all my music each time i do a sync.

it used to only sync any changes that had been made, and be done quickly. now, even if no changes are made to any playlists, it resyncs all songs when i click sync. it does this with the cable and over wifi.

the only time it gives the expected behavior is if i sync with a cable and leave it plugged in. while plugged in, i can add a few songs, sync, and it will only add those few songs. once the cable is unplugged, itunes seems to think the phone has no music on it again. i've been through many phone support agents over the years, whom have had me erase the phone, create a new itunes library, check and uncheck all the sync options in various combinations, reinstall the os to get fresh itunes, and probably several other things i don't remember at the moment. anyone every found a solution to this? high sierra 10.13.4, ios 11.3.1

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on May 11, 2018 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2018 1:03 PM

See Re: iTunes copies same songs everytime i sync for a previous discussion on the topic. In my case I've used grouping to indicate which members of my family each track should sync with. E.g. Alice/Bob. When Work & Movement were introduced all of my mp3 files inherited the work values from the grouping field. I haven't finished cleaning them out, but because I'm currently using Apple Music and iCloud Music Library rather than syncing it isn't causing me any issues right now.

tt2

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2018 1:03 PM in response to defjamblaster

See Re: iTunes copies same songs everytime i sync for a previous discussion on the topic. In my case I've used grouping to indicate which members of my family each track should sync with. E.g. Alice/Bob. When Work & Movement were introduced all of my mp3 files inherited the work values from the grouping field. I haven't finished cleaning them out, but because I'm currently using Apple Music and iCloud Music Library rather than syncing it isn't causing me any issues right now.

tt2

May 11, 2018 1:45 PM in response to defjamblaster

Great. Double check for duplicates. Try Find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library - Apple Support and see if you have any Same Album duplicates. In particular if you have two or more entries in the library that are connected to the same physical file on disk then iTunes seems to repeatedly transfer these. If you have them be careful to delete from the library without sending to the trash or you break the remaining copy.

tt2

every time i sync, i tunes re adds all my music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.