Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Upload Via FTP In Safari?

How do you upload via FTP in Safari? I can't find ANYTHING in the Safari Help pages about FTP. No mention of it whatsoever. Yet, I know it can be done.

I entered my own FTP address into the Address Bar and typed in my username and password. I successfully "logged in" to my own webspace. I could see all my files and folders. However, I could neither upload/add or delete any files. Why is this?

I used to be able to do this in Internet Explorer on a PC with no problems. Why can't Safari and a Mac do it?

17" iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 1, 2007 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2007 8:25 AM

I don't believe you can use Safari for the FTP upload function. This is done via the Finder.

In the Finder: Go menu>Connect to Server or "Apple Key + K":

Enter the FTP address in the browser window (click on the + sign to retain the address) and select "connect" . Once the connection is made, the Server will appear in the Finder Window on the left sidebar. You can drag/drop files to this location, or drag/drop from this location to your Finder.

If you need something more sophisticated, a Google Search under "FTP Mac Intel" might prove helpful.

iMac G5 Rev C 20" 2.5gb RAM 250 gb HD/iBook G4 1.33 ghz 1.5gb RAM 40 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.8) LaCie 160gb d2 HD Canon i960 printer, Airport Express (2 units)
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2007 8:25 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

I don't believe you can use Safari for the FTP upload function. This is done via the Finder.

In the Finder: Go menu>Connect to Server or "Apple Key + K":

Enter the FTP address in the browser window (click on the + sign to retain the address) and select "connect" . Once the connection is made, the Server will appear in the Finder Window on the left sidebar. You can drag/drop files to this location, or drag/drop from this location to your Finder.

If you need something more sophisticated, a Google Search under "FTP Mac Intel" might prove helpful.

iMac G5 Rev C 20" 2.5gb RAM 250 gb HD/iBook G4 1.33 ghz 1.5gb RAM 40 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.8) LaCie 160gb d2 HD Canon i960 printer, Airport Express (2 units)

Feb 1, 2007 9:07 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

I used to be able to do this in Internet Explorer on
a PC with no problems. Why can't Safari and a Mac do
it?

Because OS X doesn't work that way. To upload via FTP you need to use an FTP program. Here is a list:

http://www.pure-mac.com/ftp.html

You can upload from the Finder if you are connecting to a server via webdav instead of ftp, using the Go > Connect to Server menu.

Feb 2, 2007 7:56 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Ok, I managed to connect to my FTP webspace using
Finder. But it's read-only. I can't upload files, or
delete files. What use is that? Any suggestions for
making it not read-only?

As you were already told, OS X doesn't work that way, except for a Webdav connection. To upload via FTP, you need to use an FTP program. A link to a list of these was also provided.

If you want to tell Apple your views on how this should be done differently in future versions of OS X, here is another link:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

If you are in fact using webdav instead of FTP, let us know.

How To Upload Via FTP In Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.