Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t save photos from Facebook Messenger

I used to be able to save photos from Facebook Messenger to my camera roll, but no longer can. I get a message that says: Can’t save photo - be sure you‘ve turned on photos for messenger in your iphone settings. I have an iPad Air, updated to the latest version. I have everything enabled in Facebook messenger, as well as in photos, I think. Does anyone have any idea what else I can try? Thanks!

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 12, 2018 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2018 10:40 AM

Hi Sarah, thanks for replying. In settings, under Facebook, I did not have HD and Video on. In settings, under Messenger, the problem is that I don’t have a Photos settings at all, which I think must be the issue.

After turning on HD and Video in settings, under Facebook, it made no difference. I still can’t save photos. I wonder why I don’t have Photos as a option under Messenger?

Becky

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2018 10:40 AM in response to rose_10

Hi Sarah, thanks for replying. In settings, under Facebook, I did not have HD and Video on. In settings, under Messenger, the problem is that I don’t have a Photos settings at all, which I think must be the issue.

After turning on HD and Video in settings, under Facebook, it made no difference. I still can’t save photos. I wonder why I don’t have Photos as a option under Messenger?

Becky

May 14, 2018 7:44 AM in response to Beckyterr

Good morning Beckyterr!

It sounds like you're having issues saving photos from the FaceBook app. I'll be happy to help out.

You mentioned that you think your settings are correct, but you weren't certain. I'd like to help you double-check that. If the issue is with Messenger, go to Settings > Messenger, and for Photos here make sure that it's set to "Read and Write".

Also check Settings > FaceBook, and make sure "Read and Write" is turned on for Photos as well.

Let us know how that goes. Take care!

May 14, 2018 11:03 AM in response to Beckyterr

Hey Becky!

Thanks for following up with that additional information. I just noticed that you posted that your iPad Air is on iOS 9.3.1. The settings to allow access to photos is actually in a different location than the steps provided above (which are for iOS 11). Try this instead. Go to Settings > Privacy > Photos, and do you see Messenger or FaceBook listed here instead? Make sure Facebook and Messenger is toggled on here.

If you have photos toggled on here already or if it still doesn't work, have you tried uninstalling and installing the app again? How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Keep us posted. Cheers!

Can’t save photos from Facebook Messenger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.