Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i reset admin password in high sierra

Hi, I would like to know if there is any solution to reset admin password which i forgot, pls help thanks

iMac, iOS 10.1.1, how to reset forgotten admin pwd

Posted on May 15, 2018 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2018 9:28 AM

The easiest method for resetting your password is outlined below. Note that these steps assume that FileVault is off (or that you authorized your Apple ID to unlock your startup disk), and that a firmware password isn’t set (or it is and you know it):

1. Boot Recovery Mode by holding down Command-R while you turn on or restart your Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear.

If you set a firmware password on your Mac, enter it to continue booting Recovery Mode.

2. When the Utilities menu appears, go to the very top menu bar and click on Utilities. Then, click on Terminal.

3. Execute resetpassword

4. The Password Reset Assistant should appear. If FileVault is off, you should be able to reset your password without any need of authentication. If FileVault is on, choose "I forgot my password" and log in with your Apple ID to reset your password.

If FileVault is on and you chose not to authorize your Apple ID, you can use the recovery key to unlock your startup disk and reset your password. At the login window, choose your account and click the question mark icon in the password field. Choose to use your Recovery Key, then enter it when prompted. You should be prompted afterwards to reset your password.

Hope this helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2018 9:28 AM in response to sreenivasulu_melbourne

The easiest method for resetting your password is outlined below. Note that these steps assume that FileVault is off (or that you authorized your Apple ID to unlock your startup disk), and that a firmware password isn’t set (or it is and you know it):

1. Boot Recovery Mode by holding down Command-R while you turn on or restart your Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear.

If you set a firmware password on your Mac, enter it to continue booting Recovery Mode.

2. When the Utilities menu appears, go to the very top menu bar and click on Utilities. Then, click on Terminal.

3. Execute resetpassword

4. The Password Reset Assistant should appear. If FileVault is off, you should be able to reset your password without any need of authentication. If FileVault is on, choose "I forgot my password" and log in with your Apple ID to reset your password.

If FileVault is on and you chose not to authorize your Apple ID, you can use the recovery key to unlock your startup disk and reset your password. At the login window, choose your account and click the question mark icon in the password field. Choose to use your Recovery Key, then enter it when prompted. You should be prompted afterwards to reset your password.

Hope this helps!

How do i reset admin password in high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.