Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp 2.18.52 notifications not showing names

After installing the latest WhatsApp version (2.18.52) I’m unable to see who’s sending me messages in ALL notifications.

It just shows me ‘message’ as a heading instead of the name followed by i.e. ‘2 notifications’.

Is there a solution to this?

Oh and yes, I know I can turn on ‘previews’ within WhatsApp and the iPhone settings itself, but that is not what I’m looking for. I want a notification with a name but without a preview of the message and I’ve had that for years before this update.

I also don’t think it is an iOS fault either as I hadn’t installed the latest iOS version (11.3.1) before updating WhatsApp, but the problem already emerged. I could be wrong but don’t see how that would’ve happened then.

Hope I’ve given enough information and someone can help!

Posted on May 18, 2018 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2018 5:49 AM

Hi,

I have also faced the same problem after updating my whatsApp to 2.18.52.

Below is the quick work around through which I am out of this Issue.

->Go to Phone Settings

->Go to Notifications

-> In Notifications Go to WhatsApp.

->Scroll Down to see "show previews" option. Make this option to Never.

->Now Open WhatsApp application.

->Go To Whatsapp settings.

->Go to Notifications.

->Here make Show Preview to ON.

By Doing this Now I am able to see the Contact Name in the Whatsapp notification, with out the actual message.

Hope this helps you.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2018 5:49 AM in response to diverqent

Hi,

I have also faced the same problem after updating my whatsApp to 2.18.52.

Below is the quick work around through which I am out of this Issue.

->Go to Phone Settings

->Go to Notifications

-> In Notifications Go to WhatsApp.

->Scroll Down to see "show previews" option. Make this option to Never.

->Now Open WhatsApp application.

->Go To Whatsapp settings.

->Go to Notifications.

->Here make Show Preview to ON.

By Doing this Now I am able to see the Contact Name in the Whatsapp notification, with out the actual message.

Hope this helps you.

May 22, 2018 2:05 PM in response to skchandra

User uploaded fileHi,

Do you know how to do the opposite? I’d like to keep my incoming messages private/secure. Last week, anytime I’d get a new message, it’d say “notification” and once my Face ID I unlocked it (I have an iPhone X), I was able to see the sender’s name. For some reason, starting this past Sunday, I no longer need to unlock it to see the sender’s name. I don’t wish to see the name right away, only when I unlock it. Let me know if you can help. Thanks!

May 22, 2018 5:51 AM in response to skchandra

Dear skchandra,

I thank you dearly! This solved my problem at once. I thought I had tried all the combinations within the app and on the iPhone settings itself, but clearly I missed this one.

As you mentioned in your last reply, it used to work fine with just the app settings in previous version, so I was confused.

Thank you again for your help!

May 22, 2018 12:35 PM in response to skchandra

I use an iPhone 5 and the latest Whatsapp 2.18.60 .

If i set,

[1] General -> Notification -> Whatsapp -> Notifications -> Display on locked screen -> Deactivated

[2] Whatsapp -> Settings -> Notifications -> Display an excerpt of the message -> Deactivated ,

then nothing shows up when I receive a message.

And, if I set,

[1] General -> Notification -> Whatsapp -> Notifications -> Display on locked screen -> Active

[2] Whatsapp -> Settings -> Notifications -> Display an excerpt of the message -> Deactivated ,

then I get a blank whatsapp notification without the sender or excerpt of the message.

Please advise.

WhatsApp 2.18.52 notifications not showing names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.