Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library is OFF, so how are Photos syncing from all-time but have to delete from both places?

When I open Photos for Mac, I'm always surprised to see my main Photos tab showing ALL of my photos taken from every iOS device I have, from all time! This is strange because I have NEVER enabled iCloud Photo Library on any device. Furthermore, when I delete a photo from iOS it never deletes from Photos for Mac. This is true even if I go to the "Deleted Items" folder on iOS and permanently delete. The photo remains on Photos for Mac. The reverse is also true: if I delete a photo on Photos for Mac, it remains on my iOS device.

I really don't understand HOW photos are appearing in Photos for Mac in the first place (aside from My Photo Stream, which obviously just shows the last 30 days). Since iCloud Photo Library is off, how are items automatically being transferred from my iOS device to Photos for Mac?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Posted on May 19, 2018 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2018 2:33 PM

With Photo Stream you can delete the photos that were imported into Photos and they will not delete from the iOS device.

See the following from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

The photos that you import from My Photo Stream to your other devices won’t be deleted.

I currently use iCloud Photo Library and find that most convenient for my needs. Before it was available I used Photo Stream and found that to be more convenient than manually syncing photos via USB. For me it was also a bit safer as it helped me have the photos in a second location sooner as I wasn't frequently importing them via USB.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2018 2:33 PM in response to blt413

With Photo Stream you can delete the photos that were imported into Photos and they will not delete from the iOS device.

See the following from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

The photos that you import from My Photo Stream to your other devices won’t be deleted.

I currently use iCloud Photo Library and find that most convenient for my needs. Before it was available I used Photo Stream and found that to be more convenient than manually syncing photos via USB. For me it was also a bit safer as it helped me have the photos in a second location sooner as I wasn't frequently importing them via USB.

May 19, 2018 2:48 PM in response to FoxFifth

Here are the options that exist from Photos for Mac. It doesn't look like there is a separate option for auto-importing.

User uploaded file

I may experiment with just turning My Photo Stream completely off. When I think about it, I don't really use the photo stream functionality and this would prevent the auto-importing presumably. I do wish the separate option for auto-import that you said existed in iPhoto also was present with Photos app.

May 20, 2018 5:16 PM in response to blt413

Photo Stream to sync recent photos makes sense.

Photo Stream to sync recent photos AND auto-download thereby creating nightmares when trying to delete stuff does not.

Ok - so what? All that means is that rather than learn how Phots works you made assumptions and are now upset that Apple will not change their software to meet your incorrect assumption - that certainly does not make sense - Apple does rigid designs for their software adn documents it (at least somewhat) and offers it to users, you do not get to change it to meet you desires or assumptions, you get to choose to use it or not use it and if you chose to use it then it, again, makes no sense for you to complain that the software you chose does not do what you assumed it did without taking time to actually learn what it does

a few (fortunately very, very few) people come here with that attitude adn no one wins - you do not get things the way you assume they should be and you waste everyones time trying to explain to you how things actually are and often confuse other users who actually do what to learn

no one here designed anything nor can anyone here change anything - you are wasting your and our time ( and thousands of other readers time) having a totally inane and non productive discussion about what you assume should be and is not - you can tell Apple what you want and that may do some good, arguing that you are the only person in the band in step is totally non-productive - Product Feedback - Apple

LN

May 19, 2018 1:56 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you very much for that reply, I wasn't aware that with Photo Stream enabled on the Mac that it would import and permanently store the photos from iOS devices. FWIW, it doesn't explicitly state that in the referenced link you sent.

What about the reverse (i.e. deleting photos)? Once the photos have been imported via Photo Stream, it seems that Photos for Mac and iOS Photos act completely independent from one another since I do not have iCloud Photo Library enabled. Is this true, and does this explain why deleting from either location does not delete it from the other location?

If I'm understanding this correctly, and I don't want to enable iCloud Photo Library, then it would seem the best practice would be to turn off Photo Stream on the Mac and simply manually transfer iOS photos occasionally so that my Photos for Mac file doesn't continue to grow exponentially and so I can ensure deleted photos don't persist in the other location.

Thank you again for your reply, much appreciated.

May 19, 2018 2:37 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you for that. I'll have to think about whether to enable iCloud Photo Library or not, or to simply keep Photo Stream enabled on the Mac. I'd rather not do either option, but being forced to manually delete from both locations is a real pain.

Ultimately I wish Photo Stream ONLY kept 30 days' worth rather than permanently importing photos automatically. From my perspective, it just causes my Photos Library file to grow and becomes a pain to manage photos from both locations when I want to delete stuff.

May 19, 2018 2:43 PM in response to blt413

blt413 wrote:

Ultimately I wish Photo Stream ONLY kept 30 days' worth rather than permanently importing photos automatically. ...

Have you tried turning off the Photo Stream option in Photos Preferences?

With iPhoto there was a separate option for automatic importing. I haven't used Photo Stream with the Photos app but I suspect that if you turn off that option it is similar to what it was in iPhoto -- i.e., the photos will sync to the Photo Stream album in Photos but won't permanently import to Photos. Again, I haven't tried that with Photos so I'm not certain of that.

May 20, 2018 11:22 AM in response to blt413

I do wish the separate option for auto-import that you said existed in iPhoto also was present with Photos app.

The way My Photo Stream is handled changed dramatically between iPhoto and Photos.

In iPhoto and Aperture we could use MyPhoto Stream selectively and even one-way only.

We could decide, if we want to upload all new photos to My Photo Stream or upload selected photo manually. And we could download selectively or automatically.

Now it is all or nothing. If we enable My Photo Stream all new photos will automatically upload and all photos from My Photo Stream will automatically download. This makes sense, because, if we enable iCloud Photo Library on a Mac, the My Photo Stream album will be hidden, so it would be impossible to upload or download manually, since we cannot see the album. There is no longer any way to manage My Photo Stream manually, if we are using iCloud Photo Library.

May 20, 2018 11:30 AM in response to blt413

Ultimately I wish Photo Stream ONLY kept 30 days' worth rather than permanently importing photos automatically. From my perspective, it just causes my Photos Library file to grow and becomes a pain to manage photos from both locations when I want to delete stuff.

Are you taking videos or Live Photos on your iPhone?

In that case you should switch to iCloud Photo Library or at least refrain from using My Photo Stream. It cannot transfer any video, so video clips will not be transferred at all, and Live Photos will transfer as still frames. and if you transfer the videos separately using Image Capture, you cannot import the Live Photos animated, because the still frame already in the library will prevent the Live Import.

May 20, 2018 3:10 PM in response to léonie

Appreciate the response, but these limitations are frustrating to the end-user because if seems like an intentional hurdle that Apple put in place to entice people to turn on iCloud Photo Library (and thus pay monthly fees for disk space).

Live Photos and Videos are not the problem for me, rather I take a bunch of random pics (don't we all?) and often go through my photos on my iPhone to delete the many pics I don't need or didn't turn out well. However, with Photo Stream on for my "convenience" to see recent photos across all devices, it turns into a nightmare to manage/delete photos because now I have to do it on my iPhone AND on my MacBook Pro since Photo Stream has auto-imported all photos to my hard drive! Without iCloud Photo Library turned on (and a subscription to a larger-than-5GB plan), there is no way for my deletion of a photo on my iPhone to simultaneously be deleted on my MacBook Pro (or vice versa).

I do of course understand that full syncing (including deletion) is the main purpose/benefit of iCloud Photo Library, but ultimately the problem here is that Photo Stream auto-downloads the photos rather than just sticking to its original (and convenient) feature of syncing recent photos and nothing else!!

And yes, despite what you said about Live Photos (disabled for me) and videos (I take very few), my Photos file on my MacBook grows and grows...

Again thanks for the response/perspective, but for me I think I will be forced to turn off Photo Stream until Apple removes the requirement that it auto-download because for me it only creates a headache when I try to manage/delete photos I no longer want.

May 20, 2018 3:32 PM in response to blt413

no one is tryin to force you to do anything - there are many ways to get your photos ot the Mac - using a USB cable and importing eliminates all cloud and web involvement - or using iTunes sync - - the cloud and web options are there is (and only i you want to use them) - if you do not do it the old fashioned way which still works just fine - you can even use image capture and eliminate the Photos application all together - Apple provided the options to do it however you want but when yo chose one way then you have to use it correctly, you can not just dream up new requirements and expect the to magically be there in the morning when you awake

LN

iCloud Photo Library is OFF, so how are Photos syncing from all-time but have to delete from both places?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.