Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Dual processors not seen. What happened to them?

I have a twofold problem, both on AGP Graphics machines with the Sawtooth boards. I purchased mine used about a year ago and it came with a dual 550 processor upgrade installed. It works great, but somewhere recently, maybe after my latest upgrade (10.4.8) I checked my system profiler and it now shows the processors as dual 500s. It used to say dual 550. Any idea where the other 50s went? Could this be a glitch in the OS that doesn't allow it to see the the extra gHz? I may try zapping the PRAM, but do you think it's because of the software? I'm baffled. The other part of my problem is I just upgraded the other AGP machine with a dual 500 from a gigabit ethernet unit. It showed up fine as a dual 500 in the profiler. Then I swapped in a 160 gig internal and popped the OS on it and relegated the smaller, second internal into a storage drive, erasing the OS on that one. After doing that, it just shows up in the profiler as a single 500. Weird. I've never heard of a dual processor losing half and still work fine on the other. As I said before, it was showing up fine until I installed Tiger on the new drive, transfered the info from the previous system via the installer, and now, only one processor shows. Any ideas or suggestions for both machines? Particularly the one missing the entire half of the processor? Thanks!

G4 Dual 550 Mac OS X (10.4.8) 1.2 GB RAM, 380 GB Storage, DVD Burner/Handy Slide-Out Cup Holder, USB2, TV Tune

Posted on Feb 1, 2007 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2007 1:12 AM

I think you may possibly have deleted the Sonnet extension when you upgraded your system. Without it, the System Profiler cannot correctly read the processor speeds, although it doesn't seem to affect their use.

Try visiting Sonnet's website, and downloading the SonnetCache extension for OS X. This may solve your problem. I'm no expert, but I installed a Sonnet Processor myself only a couple of weeks ago, so it's all still a bit fresh in my mind:-)

Rob
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2007 1:12 AM in response to garygg

I think you may possibly have deleted the Sonnet extension when you upgraded your system. Without it, the System Profiler cannot correctly read the processor speeds, although it doesn't seem to affect their use.

Try visiting Sonnet's website, and downloading the SonnetCache extension for OS X. This may solve your problem. I'm no expert, but I installed a Sonnet Processor myself only a couple of weeks ago, so it's all still a bit fresh in my mind:-)

Rob

Feb 8, 2007 12:36 PM in response to garygg

I am having the same problem. I have a 160GB drive I've been using for years with 10.3 installed. Took that one out and started fresh with 2 160GB drives (one WD and one Maxtor, both 8GB cache)and set them up as "concatenated" RAID set in Disk Utility (while booted from Tiger disc). Installed Tiger, only shows ONE 450mhz processor in Activity Monitor and System Profiler. And it's definitely only running one processor because my Mac is running VERY slow. I went back to the original 160GB drive running 10.3x and everything is fine, 2 450mhz processors showing and fast as ever.

I've been searching apple support, google and the like but no answers. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks, Eric

HELP! Dual processors not seen. What happened to them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.