Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does camera flip the picture when I take a selfie?

Just bought an 8 Plus. However, when I take a selfie the picture flips. There’s no setting in the camera mode for this. Is it a glitch? Does anyone know what can be done to fix this?

Posted on May 23, 2018 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2018 10:22 AM

The picture is inverted. If I take a selfie in the car, for example, it appears like I’m on the right and the passenger seat is on the left. It’s not right. The picture should look exactly how I take it. It’s hard to explain. I understand where you’re coming from but this is different. It inverts the picture.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2018 10:22 AM in response to Phil0124

The picture is inverted. If I take a selfie in the car, for example, it appears like I’m on the right and the passenger seat is on the left. It’s not right. The picture should look exactly how I take it. It’s hard to explain. I understand where you’re coming from but this is different. It inverts the picture.

May 23, 2018 10:57 AM in response to kb1951

It should take the picture as a mirror image from the front camera. (Selfie). I’ve never had this issue before. If I’m trying to capture my “good” side it shouldn’t invert the final picture to show my other side. The picture should turn out how I capture it. Never seen this happen before.

May 23, 2018 9:20 AM in response to Jzotos

It doesn't flip them when it takes the pictures.

It flips the image while you are taking it so it looks like what you would see in the mirror. Otherwise it would be very very awkward to position the camera to correctly take the picture. Imagine seeing your right hand on the left side of the picture while taking it. It would be extremely weird to try to position something that way.

So it flips the image so you see what you are used to seeing in a mirror, and can position the frame more naturally.

The end result is the correct orientation of the photo as it is taken i.e seen by the camera, not as you see it while taking it.

May 23, 2018 10:56 AM in response to Jzotos

If you were standing in front of the car facing it, taking the picture normally, (in a not-british drive car), the driver is on the right side relative to you, and the passenger is on the left. That is what the camera sees.

When you take the picture, it flips it, so what you see is a mirror reflection. i.e the driver appears on the left side of the frame, while the passenger appears on the right side of the frame, relative to you. This is to make it easier to manage. Otherwise you (taking the selfie) would appear on the right side of the screen, which would make it very awkward.

But from the camera's point of view, the driver is on the right side.

It's all a matter of perspective.

May 23, 2018 11:01 AM in response to Jzotos

If you are trying to show your good side, if you turn your face so that your right cheek is showing, then when you take the picture and look at it, your right cheek is the one showing. Just to be sure, try taking a selfie with a shirt on that has printing on it. When you are looking at the phone screen, you will notice the mirror image and the text is mirrored. Take the photo and then look at it. You will see that the text is now correctly oriented.

May 23, 2018 12:24 PM in response to Jzotos

Apps like Snapchat and Instagram for instance will retain the mirrored effect but it will be in fact mirrored. any text will appear backwards. Which makes the option incorrect.

The Camera App will correctly show it after taking it. You can if you want, take the selfie, and then mirror it with a different app, after its been taken.

Photoshop Express is a good one for this and is free.

Adobe Photoshop Express on the App Store

May 23, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Jzotos

Jzotos wrote:

I understand, but when I take a selfie I WANT the mirror effect. It’s just your face and you want the pic to look exactly as you take it! If I take my pic in snap chat it doesn’t do that! It turns out exactly how I capture it! It doesn’t flip it

The way you look to the camera (which is in the vantage point of another person looking at you) is the way the picture looks. If you want the picture to be flipped, you will need to take the picture with some other camera app. That is the way the iPhone Camera app has always taken pictures.

May 23, 2018 12:38 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

@Chrisj4203, I just tried exactly your test with my work shirt and company name before I read your comment. You are exactly right, the screen image when taking the photo is laterally reversed (mirrored) for easy handling, and the final image is captured with correct orientation. Having the saved photo as mirrored would look very strange and wrong for all those selfies with shopfronts and other writing in the background.

Why does camera flip the picture when I take a selfie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.