Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express unable to extend network

I have 3 Airport Express, 2nd generation, all running firmware 7.6.9.

One is connected to my (Comcast) cable modem. The other two should be extending the network that the first is generating. This has all worked fine for quite a while and then mysteriously the 2 expresses that are supposed to be extending the wireless network are showing amber with a status message that they can't extend the wireless network.

I have factory reset and reconnected the failing base stations multiple times.

I do not have access control set on the express connected to the router.

All of the devices can see one another. In fact, both of the "extending" expresses show as clients of the express connected to the cable modem.

This was a successful network that mysteriously failed. AFAIK, I haven't had a power outage or a lightning storm. What the heck happened?

Posted on May 23, 2018 9:47 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 25, 2018 11:41 AM in response to Bob Timmons

• Turned everything off, including all devices and the cable modem.
  • Turned on the cable modem and waited until it connected and settled.
  • Turned on the express that is connected to the cable modem and waited for it to go green
  • Turned on 1 of the extending expresses. It flashed amber for a bit but eventually settled into green
  • Turned on the second. Same behavior
  • Turned on all my devices

May 25, 2018 11:35 AM in response to jon.handler

Power off all the entire network.....all devices.....modem, AirPorts, computers, printer, iPhones, etc.....in any order that you want

Wait at least a full minute. This is important.

Power up the modem and let it run for a few minutes all by itself

Then, power up the AirPort Express that is connected to the modem and let it run a full minute or more

Keep starting up other devices one at a time about a minute apart.....but do NOT power up either of the AirPort Expresses that are extending the network yet. Leave them powered off for now.

Check to see that everything can connect to the "main" AirPort Express and that things are working on the network.

Post back on your progress and we will then tackle the extending AirPort Expresses one at a time.

We need to know what device that you will be using to configure the Expresses that will be extending the network. If it is a Mac, we need to know what operating system is installed on the Mac at this time.

May 25, 2018 11:35 AM in response to jon.handler

If everything on the network looks OK when you power it back up one device at a time, then you can go ahead and power up one of the "extending" AirPort Express devices to see if the current configuration on the Express will "stick".

If the first remote Express comes back up OK, then you can power up the other extending Express.

If everything appears to be OK, then you are done.

But, if the first remote Express still displays the "extending" error, then you will have to reset the Express and set it up again.

The setup is different depending on whether you have a Mac, a PC, or an iPhone/iPad for the task. That is why we were asking what device that you have been using to try to set up the remote Expresses.

If you have been using a Mac.....and you have an iPhone or iPad handy......it would be a good idea to try the setup using the iPhone or iPad. Sometimes, the iOS devices do a better job than a Mac, and vice versa, so you may need to try the setup of the remote Expresses with different devices to get the Expresses back on the tracks.

Airport Express unable to extend network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.